Sunday, May 14, 2006

My cousin celebrated his Bar Mitzvah over the weekend, so my family and I drove to Maryland for the weekend. Maryland ranks high in my list of beautiful states. On Saturday I took a walk through the woods behind our hotel, and I sat down beside the lake and watched loons and geese and storks meandering over the sandbars. Although rain's been gracing its presence over the past several days, Saturday in Maryland was clear and sunny; I took a drive and admired all of the woodlands.

In the morning, we drove to Temple Isaiah, where my cousin had his Bar Mitzvah. I enjoyed the ceremony very much: the reading from the Hebrew scriptures flowed like poetry, and the Rabbi wore a constant, heartwarming smile. The people were very nice and accepting, despite the obvious religious differences (some orthodox Jews distanced themselves from the reform Jews, though they were welcoming to us Christians). The Jewish respect for the word of GOD is immense, yet I noticed over-and-over that they tried to find life through obeying the Mosaic Law. In their prayers, they kept reiterating, "For life is found in your Torah." It reminded me of the passage in John 5.39-40:

"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you'll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! And here I am, standing right before you, and you aren't willing to receive from me the life you say you want." (the Message)

I have some exciting news about my future to post here later this week. If things keep going the way they are going, I may be leaving America for a while.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Interesting. I have become increasingly more fascinated with the orthodox Jewish life, since that was the life that the disciples would have experienced (different of course, but the same ideas and practices).

And I agree - Maryland is beautiful. My in-laws live north of Baltimore in a beautiful community.

darker than silence said...

Yeah. I wish I were Messianic Jewish :)

Fiona said...

Wow four years that's a really long time! Well at least she's engaged to your friend not to some one you don't like ;)

And yes I think they are pretty much the same as college in the US ;)

I'm curious, were are you going?? Europe?? Or... ??

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...