Friday, May 12, 2006

Wednesday night, the girls' high school small group at Southwest Church invited me to teach them about heaven and hell. I thank GOD for the opportunity, just to get to know the girls a little better and practice teaching some more (and last night reminded me of how much I really do enjoy teaching!). I taught on the intermediate heaven and the "new heavens and new earth" (consummation); for the "new heavens and new earth", we looked at Isaiah 65.17-25 and discussed how the characteristics of the new creation are experienced now in Christ, and we speculated about how they would be fulfilled at consummation. We also discussed the two views held by most Christians regarding hell: eternal torment and eternal destruction (as of now, I am personally leaning towards a blend of the two).
    I was extremely happy that not everyone agreed with me; one of the leaders played "devil's advocate," and apologized, but I am thankful she vocally expresses her own opinions. It helps me re:define what I believe, and it leads others to make their own opinions regarding issues that are not essential to the faith. It was fun to have differing opinions and to have them voiced. The Church is not a dictatorship; we are all gathering together to talk about things that are way over our heads. "In essentials, unity, and in non-essentials, liberty": the old quote I parade around quite frequently. I told the girls, "You don't have to believe everything I teach you. This is how I interpret the scriptures, this is my opinion. You can have your own opinions; I don't expect you to simply become a mirror of my own beliefs. Whether you believe we sleep when we die or go to an intermediate heaven before Christ's return, whether you believe in a new universe of space/time or a universe where there is no time, whether you believe we will have lives in heaven or we will just worship at GOD's feet for all eternity, none of this is essential. In essentials, we must hold unity; but in the non-essentials, different opinions are okay--even beautiful!" I didn't say it that elaborately, but that's the jist of it.
      I wish that when I taught, the students would throw out objections, concerns, questions. I think that would be enriching not only for the rest of the class but for me as well. My opinions and views change as I gain more experience, more knowledge, and more faith. Although I may be a teacher of the gospel, it does not mean that I have it all figured out. We're all on a journey. We're all discovering our faith and discovering what it means to be a Christian with each passing day. May we lock hands and discover this journey together, living life with one another and embracing the differences in belief as not only necessary or okay, but as a beautiful aspect of the Body of Christ.

      4 comments:

      Fiona said...

      Erhm I think I know what you are talking about ;)
      Here in the Netherlands the schoolsystem is like this.

      from 4-11/12 you go to "basisschool" I think that's the same as primary school in the US, forgive me if I'm wrong.
      Then you have to choose to which school you want to go. There are 4 "ways" you can go. You have MAVO, HAVO, VWO and Gymnasium.
      If you do MAVO it's 4 years, HAVO 5 years and VWO and Gymnasium is 6 years. MAVO is the easiest way and Gymnasium (they say) the hardest. The difference between Gymnasium and VWO is that in Gymnasium you get Latin and Greek.
      I do Gymnasium and now I'm in fifth, so we'll see if I make it to the final exams next year!

      Keep writing!

      Mike said...

      Anthony, you left out the most significant part of the quote:

      "In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity (love)"

      it fine and good to make the first two statements, but if we do not approach them with the love of Christ, then we stand to have a "live and let live" mentality. or worse, a "judging, cold, attitude."

      At the center of this is the difficulty in interpretation. Some will pick out one verse from one book, from one writer to support a presupposition or opinion that they already hold. But we must take into account what the whole chapter says, what the whole book says, what the whole of the writer says, and ultimately, what the whole of the Bible says. That is true systematic theology.

      Keep growing and learning, and do not be afraid to challenge old thoughts, or afraid to change your own.

      Rochelle said...

      Anthony
      I hope you know that when we "disagreed" with you , it was in charity(love) It was a great discussion and you did a great job as our "guest leader" I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on angels and demons this week as well as what the Sr. high girls believe Because you are so close to their age they aren't afraid to disagree with you which makes for a good conversation I have 2 dvd clips which should help stimulate some questions :)

      darker than silence said...

      I'm dumb for forgetting the last part of that quote. I don't know how in the world I forgot that part.

      Rochelle, I know you were doing it "in love." Don't worry about it :) I hope to see some questions and concerns "in love" on Wednesday :)

      Mama B., I love that book. I haven't read it through its entirety, though I will have to for a class my junior year.

      where we're headed

      Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...