Wednesday, May 10, 2006

what is essential?

Last night Lindsey and I were studying in the coffee shop area when Michelle came in; she was waiting on Mike to finish class in the C.A.L.L. program. We only talked for a few moments, for I had to be responsible and study for my essay exam in the morning (which I finished about five minutes ago). We were talking about my exams, and when I mentioned that I loved Old Testament History, she said, "Oh, I didn't like that class at all when I was in college." I asked why, wondering if she just didn't find the Old Testament interesting (a lot of people don't, and more power to them!). She said, "The professor was one of those guys who always said, 'This is what you have to believe or you're going to Hell.'" Her words kept me thinking a lot last night.

As a proclaimer and teacher of the gospel, this is a weighty matter. I do not like anyone telling me what to believe, but at the same time I know that there are certain truths that must be taught as fact. When I teach, I often give opinions in class (opinions on issues such as what heaven/hell is like, how angels/demons interact with us, whether or not there are aliens, whether GOD used evolution or six-day creationism to create, etc.), but I always say, "This is my opinion." There come times, I believe, when I must say, "This is just how it is. You might not like it. I might not like it. But this is the message." Maybe not say it so bluntly, but say that in a nutshell. Jesus said the gospel message would offend; while we are careful not to be offensive ourselves, we must not count ourselves failures as GOD's ambassadors if the message we teach--the gospel that has the power to save--isn't met with applause and cheers.

So now the question becomes, "What is essential?" Some say, "Jesus alone is crucial." Others say, "Jesus and Jesus crucified is crucial." Others, "Jesus crucified and resurrected is crucial." My point is, everyone has a different idea of what is crucial to the gospel, what one must believe in order to experience salvation. As I sit here at the computer, I think that one can think that Hell is not real, that Jesus is not the only way, and that drunkenness is not a sin and still experience salvation. I guess I believe that salvation is found in Christ not through believing a certain doctrine, but by putting faith in Him and embracing Him in repentance and baptism.

Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you. - 1 Timothy 4.16

2 comments:

Fiona said...

"what is essential" I think that's a real good question, which I can not answer. I'll have to think about that...

And yes it would be nice if no one were hopeless. But I think there is always hope. And that there will always be hope. Faith, Hope and Love are the things that matter in life, cause what would you be without them?

Anonymous said...

No, I meant to write that :)

I believe that salvation is found in Christ, not by believing He's the only way. What I mean is, "You may believe that Jesus is just one way to GOD, but if you put your faith in Him, repent of your sins daily, and embrace Him in baptism, you will be saved (even though you believe wrongly)."

I do believe Jesus is the ONLY way to GOD. I believe that Hell is real. And I believe that drunkenness is a sin. Probably should've reworded that, eh?

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...