Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I wake up, take a shower, and sit down at my computer. I hear the birds chirping outside. As I look through my open window with the morning sunlight streaming in, I see students making their way to the worship ministry building for chapel. I sit here and wait for Vinnie, because I'm taking him to get his car fixed near Wal-Mart. I enjoy the spring air coming in, and I look forward to a good lunch at the cafeteria followed by a good day at the ballpark with Brian (he bought us a pair of tickets to see the Reds game). Sitting here quite bored and listening to Todd Agnew's "Grace Like Rain," I can't help but look up to my bookshelf and feel slightly disoriented. I have countless books--books upon books!--on theology. It is all so wearying. How come we have taken something so simple as the gospel and transformed it into something so complicated? How come we have taken something that is revealed to children and to fools and made it impossible for the intellectual seminary student to get a handle on? I sometimes wonder if GOD looks at our libraries full of books on theology and shakes His head, thinking, "They've missed the point of what it means to follow Me, the point of what it means to be a Christian."


Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now I'm found,
was blind but now I see so clearly.

Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me.
Hallelujah, all my stains are washed away, washed away.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed.

Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me.
Hallelujah, all my stains are washed away, washed away.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing Your praise
than when we first begun.

1 comment:

Dylan said...

I have always thought that about how complicated we make things. It is such a simple message. I totally agree.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...