Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I am sitting here in Panera Bread, where I sat several months ago while writing a paper for one of my first college classes. Then I had a piece of bread to eat, nothing more; now I am eating an asiago-cheese bread Santa Fe turkey sandwich (and it's amazing). Tonight I am going to Brian's parsonage and will be commuting to and from school from there for the rest of the week. We are cooking out tonight, getting wedding clothes tomorrow, and then probably eating out Friday night (I will return home Friday or Saturday, I want to be back in time for the family gathering at our place).

Now, about this whole "Da Vinci" thing. Simply, I just don't care. I want to see the movie, because I like Tom Hanks, but I really don't care much about it. The way I see it, it poses a danger only to those who are so foolish to turn a fiction book and movie into nonfiction documentaries. Paleontologists didn't "freak out" when Jurassic Park hit the theaters, although there were several factual accuracies (Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops are Cretaceous dinosaurs, mind you). I am afraid many people have been turned off from Christianity by Christians screaming hellfire and brimstone over this movie (which I'm sure will be great).

6 comments:

Dylan said...

Why would a Christian fill his mind with a movie (fictional-nonetheless) that is against his own beliefs? I just dont get it. I may watch movies that are not necessarily godly but they in no way talk about how Jesus was only a man and how the Bible is not only not divinely inspired but that it was put together by men with "political agendas". And how it says that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene and He had sex with her. Its idiodic to go see that movie unless you see it to better explain to others how it is not true and made up by a man named Dan Brown. It makes me sick to think Christians would watch this for entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Anthony, the sad thing is, is that people are getting turned off from Christianity because of the movie more than "hellfire and brimstone". I heard on the radio that only 25%of Scholars, teachers, college age students, and christians combined, believe that the Bible is true in it's entirety and is God breathed. The rest think its a book of fables and legends, only being partly true. Im pretty sure this gallup poll was taken AFTER the movie.

darker than silence said...

I don't know, Dyl. I might see the movie because it might be entertaining (but completely fictitious). But I might not because my youth minister friend Brian saw it and said it was long, drawn out, and it sucked.

Tyler, I don't know. I think we make a stretch when we say all peoples' disbelief stems from a movie. I guess I'm just apathetic, and it's probably a bad thing in this case, hah.

Dylan, Tyler... we gotta hang out next week. My "summer" will officially begin.

Anonymous said...

Chris Marshall kinda captures what I was trying to say yesterday as I was rushing out of panera to make it to class:

http://www.chrismarshall.blogspot.com/

Fiona said...

We had this discussion a few weeks ago, during literature class. And indeed a lot of people don't believe what is said in the bible or that it's partly true, even our teacher tried to convince us. One of the students even said it was just the bestseller of all time, and that it would be crazy to read it. And the movie is not yet in theaters here.

Dylan said...

Yeah, the Bible is just the bestseller of all time but not one part is true...logical? Not really. Research all the events in the Bible, and connect them to secular historians. Matches 100%. Sorry to all those who don't believe it. Facts are facts.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...