Monday, January 08, 2007

warning: graphic images in this post



It is my own personal view that abortion is murder. “Why is murder such a big deal?” I believe murder is such a big deal because God views us as valuable (we are made in His image), and when we commit murder, we take something God considers valuable and destroy it. Also, I believe murder is a sin because life is in the hands of God, not in our own hands. Finally, I believe murder is wicked because God calls humanity to love one another. How is love for our fellow humans seen in taking another person’s life? (Of course, there are issues here to be dealt with regarding capital punishment, but this is not the time or place for such a discourse).

“But is killing ‘the product of conception’ (the unborn) really murder?” In both the Hebrew and Greek languages, there is no separate word for “child” and “unborn child.” In the passage the author elaborated on above (Ex 21.22-23), the Hebrew word does not differentiate between unborn child and born child; it simply states that the child is still in the womb. In this passage, God gives the death penalty even for the accidental harming of an unborn child. Would He think that it was a lesser crime to purposefully kill an unborn child? I doubt so.

I believe that God values all human life, and He wants all people to come to repentance and to inherit eternal life. The scriptures tell us that human life—from conception to death—is sacred, and it is God who determines the lengths of our lives. If we take matters into our own hands by taking someone else’s life (whether it is early in their life [such as with abortion] or later in their life), it is murder.

On a final note, the scriptures clearly teach that God has a special place in His heart for children. Jesus tells us that each child has a guardian angel, and these angels can see the face of God (not all angels can see God’s face, but the angels of children can!). Jesus said that it would be better for a man to drown in the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea than to harm a little child. Throughout the Old Testament, we see over-and-over God’s great anger at the injustices against children: emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse.

Do mothers have a choice as to whether or not they can abort their children? Yes. That is the great price of free will. Yet with this free will comes great responsibility. God desires us to use our free will to make choices that honor and please Him. Are we honoring God when we viciously take the life of a young child? I believe it is an embarrassment to the gospel when Christians say, “It’s perfectly fine.” It goes against everything the scriptures teach, and this decision is rooted in selfishness (“A baby is not what I want, therefore I will exterminate it. A baby is detrimental to my prosperity and success, therefore I will kill it.” I can’t imagine how God would be pleased with this!).

"How can we condemn the ancient Near Eastern practice of the sacrifice of children to pagan gods--which God absolutely detested--while condoning abortion here in America simply because it is institutionalized [just because child sacrifice was 'institutionalized' back then doesn't mean God liked His people practicing it] or because it suits our own selfish purposes?"

I honestly cannot imagine how anyone can see the horrors of abortion and cross their arms, smug in their theology that "God doesn't care." I simply cannot see how a God who would crucify His own beloved son on the cross so that we can experience life with Him now and forever could simply have no emotions towards something so cruel and heartless as abortion.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about abortions where the mother will die if she has the baby or when the baby is there because of rape/

Anonymous said...

you should put a warning at the top of your post concerning the pictures

darker than silence said...

First anonymous: I would consider those to be extenuating circumstances. I believe Christians in such circumstances should pray and fast, seeking what God wants them to do.

Second anonymous: done :)

Mike said...

Ok, so i come here to check on the comments from a previous post and i am visually beaten. I understand that some people make abortion a hot topic, but honestly what was the point in posting the images? You could have just put the links and allowed people to check them out if they wanted. I didn't need the images and certainly wouldn't have checked your site had i known that they were hear. Shock value is overrated.

darker than silence said...

I just don't think some people really have an accurate grasp on what abortion is. Shock value IS overrated (hence more text than photos), but it still has an affect. That's all :)

Anonymous said...

Mother T is right! If we allow abortion to continue we might as well let others get away to murder! There's always Adoption! Not Abortion! But still a lot of young girls get them because they are too young! Well if they cant take care of a child... They shouldnt be having sex because the pill doesnt always work and neither do condoms! So if you arent ready for a kid... instead of killing it... Dont have sex!!!!!!!!!!

tenahawkins said...

Anthony -
I like the shock value. There are not enough people out there that really get the picture. By your post, those who don't, should. America in general has the approach of, if we don't see it, then it 'doesn't really exsist' or 'it's not that bad'. Being comfortable is the name of the game for most of us Americans. What do you think Jesus saw, felt and died for?
ALL OUR SINS. Murder (abortion), adultery, lying, stealing, deception, manipulation...the works.
By posting this, people have no option in not seeing what really exsists.
Abortion is a choice, murder is a choice.
2 peas in a pod.

Dylan said...

Yes anthony I love that post.

To the people or persons who are not happy with the video its pretty disgusting isnt it? Well it happens every day and I think it NEEDS TO MAKE US UNCOMFORTABLE!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I didn't watch the video. The picture below was enough for me. I really like this blog but if I see much more of this I won't be back!

Yes, You are right about abortion.

You have alot of living to do before you can start judging other's.

Please do not cast the first stone.

darker than silence said...

This is not a judgment upon those who have gone through abortions. It is a judgment upon the PRACTICE of abortion.

Also, when someone speaks up against rape, does anyone say, "Hold on! Don't judge!" No. I am making a case for the evil of abortion, not judging those who have partaken in it. With that said, one of my really good friends went through an abortion. She cried on my shoulder a lot as she dealt with the pain. I know the hell abortion causes, and I didn't judge her. I know my own mistakes all too well.

Sometimes, I am afraid, we get so caught up with "not judging others" that we become silent regarding controversial issues. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but I'm going to take a guess that it's a bad thing.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...