Thursday, March 05, 2009

the mask we call a dream

I have a dream for my life: to become a famous writer, the next Hemingway or McCarthy. I strive and I struggle and I reach for this dream, and it is wearying and burdensome. Have I stopped to ask, “What happens when I get it?” I would be unfulfilled. I would dream of more. Our dreams are clothing we put on that which we truly want: joy, peace, and contentment. Our dreams symbolize our deeper desires, and we think that if we reach our dreams, we will have peace and joy and contentment… And when we ascertain that dream, we concoct a grander and more majestic dream, because the original dream failed to bring us what we really want: joy, peace, and contentment.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...