Tuesday, March 10, 2009

yearning for the simple gospel

I remember when Christianity used to be so simple, and I long for that simplicity. For the past few days, I have felt overwhelmed by the apparent complexities of the gospel. I know it’s simple, but going to school and training for biblical studies has made me approach things quite differently. How do I factor in such terms as justification, regeneration, sanctification, propitiation, and all other “itions” that are out there? How do I make a coherent whole out of the apparent chaotic cesspool of biblical terminology? How do I come to a place where I can sit down with someone and explain the gospel in such a way that is accurate and yet not overcome with its intricacies? How do I return to the beauty and splendor and awe-inspiring simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ? “Maybe you just have a fuller understanding of the gospel,” my friend Jessie told my torn soul. I don’t know. I relish the days when everything was just so much more simple.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...