Sunday, November 28, 2004

an odd night

Pat spent the night last night. I was sleeping soundly and dreaming of Rome when what sounded like the doorbell echoed in my ears. Rolling over, I rubbed my eyes and saw the clock read 3:01 a.m. Awkward. Half-asleep, I heard it again, and thought to myself, Is there a phalanx of spearmen at the front door? Literally. I was still bunking REM. Finally all disullisioned ideas broke apart when Doogie started barking.

I hopped up and ran to my window, pulling back the blinds, remembering a time I was almost kidnapped just down the street (long story). A car sat by the curb with its lights on and door open. I backed up to my desk, opened the drawer, and pulled out a hunting knife Pat had given me a week ago. I guess it helped me feel more protected.

Pat startled me when he got up and muttered, "What's going on? It's so early."

"There's someone outside in a car!"

Pat's dad was supposed to come by in the morning and pick him up to run to Southwest to play bass. Suddenly Pat said, "Is it my dad? My dad's gone mad! It's 3:00!"

To add to the confusion, the phone began to ring. Pat yelped, "Pick it up!" I ran it off the wall and said, "Hello?" Around 11:30 Shelby and Jacque Stevens and Megan Hague had been prank calling and I thought, You've got to be joking me - they're supposed to be in Northmont! A female voice came through: "This is the Springboro Police Department." They wanted to talk to my dad about some youths running around outside. My parents blamed us because it's happened before, but we were sleeping soundly dreaming of Rome.

such a laugh-filled day

The rest of the day went well. We watched a movie called Resurrection, somewhat like the movie SE7EN, at Chris and Lee's house. I ate a sugar cookie, low-fat eggnog and animal crackers. Pat had donuts, ice cream, doritos, cookies, and then some, and he complains to me about gaining weight; I told him not to complain to me anymore :-). It was a laughing ball when we returned to my house and ate supper; mine was fiber popcorn (mmmm, yumm!) and a bagel. Pat had more junk food and Chris and I relaxed in the family room amongst Christmas lights and Christmas music. I love Christmas. Three weeks till Christmas break!

We decided to go to the 412 Basketball night, but instead of playing we ran around in the YMCA until we got yelled at, hid in an off-limits gym (we didn't know it was off-limits), and got karts out of the closet and rushed around the gymnasium with Jeff yelling at us to stay off the court :-). And a grand finale: Chris raced me through a water puddle on a scooter, let go, and I pitched forward, splashing water all over myself. Ahh! Stories!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...