Sunday, November 07, 2004

Thursday night gathering has turned into a chaotic animal house. No one pays attention; everything is just a big joke, oftentimes even the stuff we're talking about (even when the topic is, ironically, GOD); some of those there make fun of others, backbite others, throw gossip into the wind, spoiling the sacredness of whatever we're talking about. No one ever wants to DISCUSS anymore; they're there for the food mostly, and when there's no food, they get in and get out. Even some 'turn' when they get to small group, and are bent on disrupting it as much as possible.

What has happened? I am clueless.

Where did the first Thursday gathering go? Sitting together, immersed in nature, speaking our minds and our hearts and just reveling in the knowledge of God, and the knowing God. Where did the honesty and the interest and the sacredness run off to? Where did the genuine love for one another drip away to? I am lost; I don't know how to get back. For months I've tried to drag it together, but every time is a failure. I have tried it lovingly, but I must admit, I've been on the verge of ripping up the papers and just leaving.

I have had several friends tell me that it needs to change, that it upsets them the way it acts. A friend told me that last night, and was afraid it would make me upset; I agree with her, but what can I do? I just want to end it half the time.

It is a waste of my life, it feels, yet deep down, I know God put me there, and put the people that gather together in that room. So what now?

6 comments:

Doug Hill said...

take a break dude. go underground for a season.

re:think, re:fuel, re:load, re:calibrate, re:birth

just a thought.

Unknown said...

Patience my freind...if you give up whats that going to do? You may not know this but people are actually learning new things(slowly but surely). Sometimes I contribute to it, but you gotta give it time man. Everything will work itself out. What your doing is a good thing and you may not know it but alot of us appreciate it. Later man

Mike said...

Leading a small group is an experiment in sociology. You have to know what the group needs when they need it and not just work to promote your own agenda. I have had to figure that out along the way too. I understand that there has to be some real discussion and studying, but there needs to be fun, unstructured, interaction as well. Don't get discouraged, just adapt. I always have a lesson or discussion in mind when I lead a group, but I leave room for the group to dictate whether we cover that material or not. Sometimes we just need to goof off, hang out, and have fun. I am here for you man, don't give up on them.

Rochelle said...

Anthony
Don't try to figure this out on your own Doug,Tyler, and Mike have all given you good advice God's giving you a taste of what it's like to be a youth minister It's tough sometimes Remember that there are some in your group who don't know what it is to have a relationship with Christ You need to confront the ones who are creating the distraction Ask Jeff to help you with this and definitely keep praying for them I will be praying for you

darker than silence said...

thanks so much from all of you - i am in the making of creating a bread basket from all the ideas and points you've thrown across my way. thank you!

Anonymous said...

In God's wisdom He created the four seasons, one of which is winter. During this time much of His creation takes time to go "dormant" and rejuvenate itself to be prepared for the coming spring and summer. I believe we too need that winter season to go "dormant" (take a sabatical) and spend time with only Him, so He can rejuvenate us for the "next season".

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...