Saturday, December 11, 2004

Anthony Day 2004!

I have a day named after me? This is insane! Dad wakes me up at 6:45 and tells me, "You might want to save some extra time to get your Jeep ready." I thought it had snowed and been trenched in, but I looked outside and the roads were just wet. He says, "Come and see!" We trek downstairs, outside, and to the Jeep.

The Cherokee is wrapped in wrapping paper. On the top is a lawn chair with a seat cushion as a body, a straw hat and boots. A wreath adorns the back of the Jeep, and walking around, there was a poster that read Anthony Day, with a drawing of me in my thick bug glasses (which I dropped about three years ago!). Dad and I laughed. I will bet you Hague, Chris and Lee dropped by last night.

I worked a seven-hour shift at the hometown proud I.G.A., but upon returning, Hague drove up in his 4x4 and they beckoned me over. My guard was down, and soon snowballs - I think they were snowballs - were being hurled at me from Chris, Lee and the Pats. I chased Hague around the house, then ran down to the wood pile, found a big stick by the swing, and raced back, swinging it around like a berserker. Unfortunately no one was hit, though Dewenter's face was pure terror and horror as he jumped into the 4x4 and they gunned away. I kind of felt like the chainsaw massacre guy, just seeing their faces.

Speaking of serial killers, we watched the movie Monster last night at the Williams'. I thought it was OK. Everyone else hated it. I liked the fact it was a true story, and you kind of find compassion for the murderer. It wasn't your average thriller; it was drama, and you wanted to laugh and cry and it made you angry, especially the last murder. If you haven't seen it, you wouldn't understand.

Backtracking from the night's movie, around 4:00 I went up near Northmont to a buffet with my extended family. It is quite funny. Mom's family is a soap opera, and Dad's is an episode of Pleasantville. I don't understand how it happens to be honest. I always feel so foreign in either situation. But when we returned, Chris, Pat and Pat had visited again, breaking into the house with a key, and putting a poster on the steps that read ANTHONY DAY!!! They also stripped my mattresses and pulled out all my drawers. My dad went ballistic (in a nice fatherly way) and banned them from the house.

All in all, a very interesting day. My Saturdays are always interesting. After work, anyways. Work sucks.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...