Tuesday, December 28, 2004

How could I have missed this?

I really enjoy public speaking as long as I'm there willingly (giving speeches and reports at school that I'm not really excited about, that sucks). I have spoken once to about fifty people on the subject of friendship, depression and God, and I've led many "Sunday Schools'" even though I am only seventeen (who said age means anything?). One of my dreams, as you know, is to start a church. Another dream I have is to be a public speaker whose messages really touch people and push them to love God and love others more. Basically a more relevant, remix Billy Graham, maybe somewhere along the lines of Louie Giglio.

One of the greatest fears - as well as concerns - I've had to deal with is "will people listen?" I have been fearful of people just falling asleep, not listening, letting their minds wander. I've dealt with the question, "Will they listen? Will it be interesting?" I've been through enough four-point, explain-the-Scripture lessons/messages - in the student's chair as well as behind the podium - to know they aren't always the best. Heck, let's admit it. They are boring, dry, most often lifeless. In my humble opinion.

I have been reading the Gospels, right now Matthew, and I find that Jesus doesn't have any four-point messages. Anywhere. His messages are filled with analogies, comparisons, metaphors, and mostly stories. How could I have missed this? Jesus never gives a four-point message, so why do we? Jesus doesn't just explain Scripture; he lives it out and speaks about it through stories. Why do so many four-point messages get saturated in small stories? Because the stories are like candy through a boring movie. It keeps you awake.

My question, then, is why don't we do away with the four-point messages, the let's-talk-about-John-3:16, and just start telling stories. Speaking from the pulpit about life experiences, stories we've heard, fables and fiction, and like Jesus did, interweave it with eternal truths, new lights on difficult subjects, and a passion to go out and just live with God?

How could I have missed this?

How could we have missed this?

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

I hate public speaking but its part of my job You have to know your audience and why they are there It takes practice You also have to have a passion and love for what you are talking about I agree about using stories and real life situations I think thats what helps connect you to your audience I always use "patient situations" when I'm talking I think there are people who have a true gift for this like Louie Giglio,Beth Moore,Jim Cymbala,etc I'm not all that fond of the "four point write down notes" sermons either I prefer to listen and absorb it into my heart and mind

Anonymous said...

Anth,

As I have told you before, I believe you will do something BIG in your life. I just want to remind you that I am more than willing to serve as your business manager and travel all over the country with you.

Dad

Unknown said...

Anth, I know weve both talked about this before and i'm glad you wrote about it. I also have doubts on whether or not people will pay attention. God will give us the messages. And He will tell us what the people need to hear. We can also help each other...you better call me when were off to college:)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...