Wednesday, December 08, 2004

After school Amanda asked me if I remembered when she called me butthead and pimple-face and fatty. I told her I did. She asked me if it made me sad, because she always used those words in place of my real name during my years of depression. I told her no. She seemed to lighten up. Then she asked, "What made you sad?" As honestly as I could, I said, "Pretty much just the simple fact you didn't like me." I must tell you she almost cried. She wrapped her arms around me so tight I farted (no joke). Yeah. That really happened.

God has been convicting me so tenderly that, to sum it up - and these aren't really his own words - I suck at witnessing. But I bet he agrees. I can't remember the last time I actually reached out to someone not in my community of faith. I mean, sure, I say hi to people and strike up friendly conversation, but I avoid the topic of God. I am afraid of scaring them away from God. But if I don't open my mouth, how can they ever think of running from God? The problem is I don't really know HOW to witness. I am surrounded by people who hold the Bible as Truth, and they're all in my community of faith, and all the others think the Bible is another counterfeit; all the witnessing books I have say go down the romans road, but what if people don't think the roman road exists? You get nowhere really. And I am a horrible speaker when countered. I stutter and stammer and struggle for words. When it's all over, what I SHOULD have said always pops into my head. It really makes me crazy inside.

If anyone has any tried-and-true, personal-encounters, non-textbook ideas or suggestions that I could ponder on in these times I would really appreciate them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude always remember that you can witness by simply living your life for God. Witness by example is an awesome way to show the light that God's given you. I think I suck at witnessing too but then I think of my example...which isnt always perfect..:)

Rochelle said...

Anthony
It's about relationships and developing trust first
Read Mike's response to Tyler's blog about his friend When you read "The Coffeehouse Gospel" he does give some examples of his conversations sometimes it works..sometimes not It's up to God not us There are some people who truly have the gift of sharing their faith and making an immediate impact on people but those people are rare Sometimes what you say or do may have an impact on someone years later How you live your life is a witness..being a friend to that person who seems lost ..spending time with them

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...