Monday, December 06, 2004

Tyler says he doesn't know what it is with my friends and our Chinese food. I guess it just doesn't help that we went out to eat after church at China Garden and I stuffed myself. I wasn't hungry the rest of the day.

Student Revolution was amazing; Jeff played a nooma DVD and I felt so divinely inspired that I actually bought it online! The message was on love - sometimes we think we're doing God a favor by picking up a bullhorn and calling down fire and brimstone - in whatever way we do it - but really we are most likely hurting the cause of Christ, bringing undeserved black marks down on a message of life, hope, and peace.

Finishing the Christian Culture Survival Guide, a very witty and satirical book, I must say I enjoyed it very much. Even though many of his statements are somewhat offensive to me and others I know, I do not deny there is some deep-bellied eternal truths under the satirical lace. At the end of his work he wrote two segments that I am going to copy down for you in case you haven't read the book. They're very nice. Here they are:

5 Teachings of Christ to Survive On:
1) Do not judge
2) Love your neighbor, but more importantly, love your enemy
3) Hunger and thirst after righteousness
4) Love the Lord with all your heart, mind, soul and strength
5) Believe. Believe. Believe. Believe what it teaches with all your heart.

5 Truths I've Learned about Living Out my Faith:
1) Love never has an agenda - never
2) We are always on call to be a missionary - even when we're asleep in bed
3) Jesus loves lesbians, murders, and legalistic fundamentalists
4) Sometimes the most blatant, obnoxious witness for Jesus comes from the quietest person in the room
5) No fear.

Another point he makes is that it's not a good idea to leave gospel tracts instead of a tip. This actually happened to me once at I.G.A.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

Darrell has a friend who gives out chuckles candy with tracts rubber banded to them I have a problem with that kind of witnessing You need to develop a personal relationship with the person I really liked the Christian Culture Survival Guide but his book "The Coffeehouse Gospel" is much better You are welcome to borrow that book too Anthony

darker than silence said...

Rochelle, I'd love to! I've been reading so many good books right now. Jeff has lent me Blue Like Jazz, and it is very good.

Rochelle said...

I'll give it to your mom when I meet with her on Sat That will give you time to read Blue Like Jazz you will love that book

Mike said...

Anthony, first thanks for using my discussion questions. You are totally welcomed to use 3rd Place as a resource. Second, you have some unresolved links in your sidebar. You might want to check the html in your template. Third, I am starting Blue Like Jazz this week also, I just finished Rochelle's copy of The Coffeehouse Gospel, it is potentially life changing if you put into practice some of his thoughts on evangelism. Fourth, I am trying to track down some books I have lent out. I think you have one or two, if you are finished with them let me know and I can pick them up or exchange them for something new. I am going to put a list of my "emergent" books on my main site. if there is something you want to read let me know.

darker than silence said...

yeah man I have The Search for Community and the one on emergent churches. Both were awesome. Sorry I haven't gotten them back to you. I'll bring them to Southwest Sunday, but if you really need them, just swing by, no one will care :-). Our house is flooded with people everyday :-).

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...