Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Today has been a day for memories. As I walk, I close my eyes and just breathe through my nose, letting all the scents of the atmosphere swarm over me. I let my mind wander, and I find that in the smells I am transported to memories of different times and places. Today I felt little again, running on the beach with my family, as I walked across the parking lot to the school; as I closed my eyes and drifted through the bottom of D Hallway next to the Home-Ec room, I was running to my bus in Junior High, intent on playing with my Star Wars toys at home and eating Mom's spaghetti for dinner. Yet again today, coming in from the storm, I closed my eyes, heard the thunder, pet Doogie, and felt like I was living back in the days when I would hear a storm approaching and run to see what the Weather Channel had to say on the subject. One day High School, even college, will be another memory to be drawn up as I walk across the streets with my eyes closed and breathing in the deep air after a quiet rain.

"Time to get up, God - get moving.
The luckless think they're Godforsaken.
They wonder why the wicked scorn God
and get away with it,
Why the wicked are so cocksure
they'll never come up for audit.

But you know all about it -
all the contempt, the abuse.
I dare to believe that the luckless
will get lucky someday in you.
You won't let them down:
orphans won't be orphans forever.

- Psalm 10:12-14, MSG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember those days well. I will miss you as you go off to college more than you could possibly imagine!!!! Love, Mom

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...