Wednesday, February 03, 2010

the drama's on my heels

I love the fact that I move fifty miles north to escape the drama and somehow it keeps following me around. The guy Sarah likes sent me a message asking for permission to talk to her. He knew what Friday night did to me and now the problem is exacerbated. So I sat there and wondered what to do. Be the good guy that everyone says I am and tell him, "Do what you want"? Ignore it? Be selfish and think of my own emotional hell before Sarah's happiness and tell him not to talk to her?

I told him that people have gotten in the way of my happiness again and again, and I'm not going to get in the way of his happiness. Or Sarah's happiness. So I told him to do what he wants in regards to her.

The reality is, I love Sarah. I really do. I would never tell her that. And I know she doesn't read this, so she'll never know--unless some reader tells her, "Hey, look what Anthony wrote about you!" Several months ago I preached a sermon on biblical love and how love has at its foundation sacrifice. It isn't love if it's not sacrifice, and it isn't sacrifice if it doesn't hurt. I know that if they end up dating it will hurt me. But at least I'm in Dayton now and won't be subjugated to it. I won't have to see it thrust in my face. And I guess this is the most loving thing to do. If she wants to be with him--if he will make her genuinely happy and (of this I am quite skeptical) be good for her--then so be it. And if something happens between them and it gets blown to smithereens and she ends up regretting it, it's not my fault. There's no blood on my hands.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...