Wednesday, February 17, 2010

a simple life

I live a very simple (albeit jobless) life. I generally wake around 9 or 10:00. I do a quick fifteen-minute workout to help my body wake up, and I finish the job with a cup of French pressed coffee. By this time it is around 10:00 or 10:30. I spend the morning looking for jobs, filling out applications, calling places back, etc. By noon it is lunch-time and I do my main strength-training workout. Depending on the day I work my arms/chest or abs/legs. I eat a high-protein lunch (if I had an egg and toast for breakfast, then I eat lunch). I then shower and shave and get dressed, and I go to the Starbucks five minutes down the road and order a double-shot espresso in-house, and I sit down and I write in my notebook. Sometimes I'm writing about theological matters, sometimes writing about scripture (trying to figure it out), and sometimes I work on one of the three stories I'm writing. Once my drink is finished and my wrist hurts, I get up and return home. I'll spend the next hour or two reading, writing on my laptop, or playing Wii. When Mom gets home from work, she generally takes a nap. Before she wakes up, I get started on dinner. Usually something healthy (today I fixed boiled mussels; but Mom and Dad don't like mussels, so I had to go and pick them up some fried chicken). After dinner I will generally spend my evening hanging out with a friend, doing some more writing, contemplating life, journaling, watching television, or reading.

Some days, though, are exciting. Tomorrow, for example, I'm going to the library. I am going to bed early tonight so I can be fully rested for that adventure.

I really do enjoy the simple life. I just wish I had a job so that the simplicity could be enjoyed with, say, a shot or two of bourbon every night. I do enjoy bourbon. And I wish I had a good job so I could live my simple life in my own apartment. But that time will come.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...