Monday, February 22, 2010

the dayton days: III

Dylan: Spring Valley SBux
President's Day. Ten inches of snow fell for twelve hours throughout the morning and evening. There's a level 3 emergency, which means that no one's allowed on the roads. If you're caught on the road, you'll be ticketed and then shot. Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky were hit harder: C.C.U. shut down, the roads were a wreck, and Ams and Sarah were snowed in (at least I have Maebe with me now!). My day's plans with Dylan were consequently ruined. Aunt Teri and Uncle Bill couldn't leave, though no complaining about that. No one left the house all day, and that damned cabin fever set in. Aunt Teri, Mom and I built an Igloo and had lots of fun. They were skeptical at first. I was up till 1 AM working on 36H2.

Tuesday. Mom had work off today. I woke at 10:00 on-the-dot and made coffee in the French Press for Bill and myself. The roads cleared up, and Aunt Teri and Uncle Bill headed back to Lexington. I made a tiny igloo for Maebe and put her inside. She just tried to burrow into the snow. Dylan came over, took a PTO Day, and we went to Spring Valley and talked about evangelism, bearing fruit, corporate church responsibility, women in ministry, post-millennialism, annihilationism, and PETA with their "naked congresses." One of the baristas, a guy named J.J., introduced himself: "You're friends with Abby!" Dylan and I went to Chic-fil-A and then back home, and we revamped the big igloo with icicles. We ate dinner, played Mario-Kart on the Wii, and once he left I took a hefty dose of NyQuil and passed out.

Wednesday. I spent the morning cleaning and writing, and then I went to Spring Valley SBux (Starbucks, duh) for an espresso shot. A bunch of annoying high school girls were there, studying for the A.C.T. I picked up dinner for Mom & Dad and spent the evening writing. Jess Lynn will be at one of the local Starbucks this Friday. I'm gonna go visit her. 

Thursday. I dreamt that I was at the Mall with two really cute girls. I like these dreams, because they remind me that Sarah is NOT the end of the world for my romantic aspirations. I went to Starbucks and ordered a double shot and read a book on common fiction writing mistakes. Honing my art. I told Jess Lynn that I'm putting her in the story as the main character's future wife. She likes the idea. I helped Dad hammer nails out of boards and load them into his van. Jess Lynn called me sobbing: her car broke down in Oakwood and her father had to go to the hospital (he's okay). And she's not going to be able to go to Italy as hoped. I'll see her tomorrow.

Friday. I dreamt Jess Lynn and I were boating off the coast of Italy when our boat capsized, nearly drowning us. I fixed a chicken quesadilla for lunch and when Dad got home we went to Waffle House for dinner. I went to the Centerville Sbux. Jess Lynn was filling in there, came all the way from Richmond. She was happy to see me but kinda distant. I ordered two decaf espresso shots, sat down with my laptop, did some writing, ran by Kroger for NyQuil, said goodbye to Jess Lynn, and headed home.

Saturday. Too much NyQuil last night made me sluggish all morning. I went to DLM to buy groceries for Mom and the young cashier flirted with me hardcore. I went to Spring Valley and got a double shot and read a book on discovering your writing style and perfecting it. Mom, Dad and I ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Franklin, and then we picked up some stuff from Drug-Mart. Back home I did some more writing.

Sunday. I went to Southwest Church this morning, the first I've been there in over a year, I think. Dewenter came over and we talked about all our girl problems. Dylan and Tyler joined us at the house, and we watched "I Am Legend" and played Mario-Kart for a bit. Ams was supposed to come up but postponed it till next Saturday. I spent the evening writing, cleaned my room, researched floorplans for a house I'm going to build in Ketchikan, Alaska. Ha. I wish. No, if I ever build a house, it'll be around here, amidst family and friends.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...