Sunday, June 27, 2010

life: crazy but good

Apologies to my two readers for not writing lately; life has been crazy but good. The weekend has been spent knocking shifts out at the coffee shop. Friday night I talked to a very cool person from 1:00 AM to 10:00 AM, a whomping nine hours, and it was surprisingly good (most of the time I hate talking for more than fifteen minutes). This morning Patrick and I went to M.C.C. for church (the message was on integrity of speech, i.e. not lying/telling the truth), and then we grabbed Chinese at China Cottage (I got the usual General's but Patrick tried a little something different). I had to run to Mad River to pick up iced coffee and then worked till 8:30 with fun people. Tomorrow I am back in the saddle at 5:30 AM; the rest of the week (through Thursday) I am working mornings, which I prefer, and then Friday-Sunday I will be in Kentucky celebrating a family wedding. It will be a great time.

I'm three quarters through "The Challenge of Jesus." I have to read through it very slowly, because Wright's thought is so packed and complex that I must wrestle with what he says before understanding the point he is trying to get across. Amidst this I have been reading and re:reading 1 Peter: at this point, I am convinced it is a letter that takes an immediate present situation (the threat of persecution against Christians) and sets it within the eschatological framework of the Old Age vs. the New Age and the tension of living in "the last times" or "the end times" (referring not to a 7-year period after the rapture and Jesus' return for a 1000-year millennial reign, but to a general apocalyptic description of the time between the Cross and Consummation, when God will remake the heavens and the earth and deal with evil forever). In one of my college classes, we had to write out by hand the entire letter of Romans. It was tedious and I hated it (at first), but the benefits of insight and understanding in regards to the text are insurmountable. Thus I am writing 1 Peter, ever so slowly, and really hashing out his thought process. I may morph it into a Bible study of some sorts and try to get it published.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...