Monday, June 21, 2010

the dayton days XX

Monday. I ran errands this morning: bank run, CVS, gas station. The attendant is a regular at Starbucks: iced venti, extra sweet caramel macchiato. I went to work to look at my schedule--training tomorrow in Oakwood--and got a drink and sat on the patio and read for a while. Carly brought me a cookie. I went to Kroger for some pens and spent the rest of the morning cooped up inside. Dylan & Tyler came over, and we grilled burgers out back (it's so effing muggy!) and then went to Borders at the Mall. They went home, and I spent the evening reading. Another severe thunderstorm rattled through. I sat on the porch and talked with Jess Lynn for a good while. She had another bad day, despite Italy being awesome, and was crying. We talked again about "fleeing" to Ketchikan, Alaska and getting a pug and a boxer. Innocent laughs, we both have no intentions on even pursuing it. Oh: Ams called the house, freaking out, a tornado in Cincinnati.

Tuesday. I spent the morning reading at Spring Valley and bought a book at Borders: "Addiction and Grace." Dylan said it's really good. Mom & I grabbed Milano's for lunch, and we talked about Touchdown Jesus burning down. I did some more reading before my Starbucks Experience class from 5-9:00 at Oakwood. Everything's fancy in Oakwood. After the meeting I sat down at the bar and did some reading. While there, I met a girl named Amanda who looked and sounded exactly like Courtney. I immediately didn't like her, ha. Tyler came over later in the evening, and we got dinner at Wendy's and another storm hit and Mom thought it was a tornado. Tyler went on a date tonight and shot down her hopes of a second. "Fat girls are fun to fuck but not to date." Goodness.

Wednesday. I had a quiet morning of reading and eggs and toast for breakfast before working 1-6:00. After work I high-tailed it to F.C.C. in Franklin to meet with their ministry team for the part-time position I applied for on June 3rd. The elders asked a series of questions, and I answered them. I gave an impromptu sermon on Romans 8. They liked it. I'm going to preach there next week. I went to one of the elders' houses, close to home, and he gave me the skinny on the dying church, some internal politics. I got home by 9:15 and Dylan & Tyler came over for a bit: Wii & a trip to Speedway for cigs.

Thursday. I worked 7-3:30 with Forrest, Jessica, Wade, J.J. and Mandy M. On break I read more N.T. Wright. I worked out when I got home and had grilled chicken sandwiches for dinner. Dylan came over, and we swam in the pool and enjoyed Front Porch Times. He left and I spent the rest of the evening chatting with Jess Lynn. "I had a dream that we were in Alaska and there were dinosaurs in our backyard!" she exclaimed.

Friday. I worked 5:30-1:00 with Wade, Forrest, and Tony B. I cashed my check, ran by Family Christian for a devotional, a book by N.T. Wright, and a book by Henri Nouwen. Ams is in town and Tyler joined us for a fattening dinner at Chic-fil-a followed by Mario-Kart.

Saturday. I worked 6:30-3:00 with Wade, J.J., Jessica, and Forrest. A good crew. Saturdays are when we generally get our frappuccino rushes. Ams and I sat on the front porch when I got home. She asked how things were going with Sarah. "What things? I'm over her. Genuinely over her. I hardly ever think about her, and I definitely don't consider her my best friend. And it doesn't hurt like it used to; actually, it doesn't hurt at all." And I didn't lie. I don't think about her anymore. It's like a flip's been switched. God has answered my prayer. (Insert Smiley-Face Emoticon here) Anyhow: Dylan & Tyler came over, and we went to D.L.M. for sushi and salad and then grabbed coffee before parting ways.

Father's Day. Mom, Dad, Ams & I celebrated Father's Day by grilling hamburgers for lunch. Dewenter came over, reported his North Carolina trip went well. We all hung out on the front porch for a while. Rob & Mandy came through on their way home from celebrating Father's Day with Rob's dad in Dayton, and we grabbed dinner at China Cottage. "It's seriously the best Chinese food I've ever had!" Mandy shouted. She shouts a lot. Ams returned to Cincinnati and so did the Hoos couple. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...