Monday, June 21, 2010

to liberty and back

This evening I took a road trip an hour west into a small town called Liberty, Indiana to visit my good friend Jess Lynn. Her mom fixed a delicious dinner, and we played X-Box and threw the frisbee with her dogs, and we went and got ice cream and visited her friend Toby and then went to a state park and stood on a dock in the twilight. The water so still and serene, a sheet of dark glass spread between the shores laden with stones and overhanging pines. We went to a playground in the dark and took turns pushing each other on the swing and she nearly got sick. It was good to see her.

Tomorrow I am grabbing lunch with a man I met at the Franklin Christian Church last Wednesday. I'm thinking someplace where I can get a good set of eggs and toast with orange juice to wash it all down. He called me asking if we could talk, and he told me about some rough patches he's going through. The man needs a friend, and I'll be that for him, I guess. I've had lots of people take time out of their days to sit down with me and listen to my heart-felt laments, the least I can do is "pay it forward" (ugh, I hate that term). I work 5-11:00 tomorrow night and then 10-6:00 on Wednesday. Wednesday night I'm giving my friend Faith a call, and Thursday we are having Wade's baby shower at the house (I already mentioned that), and Thursday evening Sarah is coming up to visit. Some shit went down in her life so we're just going to grab some food and get some coffee and hash it out. It will be good to see her; my heart breaks for her and the situation she's found herself in. After Thursday, I am working seven days straight, and then I'm heading down to Kentucky for my cousin Jesse's wedding. I'm partaking in the wedding in some manner, I guess I'll figure out exactly what when I get down there. I've broken out the suit and it looks good, albeit it a little big since I've lost weight (at 147 pounds now).

I need to get more serious about my weight loss. I have been actually looking bigger thanks to focusing solely on building my muscles. I've been gaining muscle mass but haven't been losing any significant body fat. I'm going to start running each day. Dylan and Tyler run 3-4 miles a day. I know I can't do that (I've tried), but I know over time I can bring myself to that point.

I've changed the look of the blog. Blogger has a new customizable design feature that is simply wonderful. There were so many great designs to choose from, and I chose this one because it speaks of the current theme to the past month: rain. Nearly every day it's rained. And not just drizzles or occasional showers. We're talking torrential downpours and horrendous (albeit beautiful) thunderstorms with dazzling lightning and hail and gale-force winds. We're supposed to get another round coming in tonight. My window is open in preparation.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...