Thursday, June 10, 2010

lobster arms


Dad and I went kayaking at this place just north of us. The clear sky let loose torrents of sun and needless to say, despite the great amount of fun we had, we're both pretty burnt. This happens at least once every summer: I get scorched, nearly to the bone, and suffer indescribable pain for two to three days, and then after that it's clear sailing. I purposefully didn't take sunscreen (I want to get this hell over with). Yay for being so fair-skinned. I look like a lobster. "Lobster Arms" is what I keep thinking when I look at my upper limbs. Anyways, kayaking was pretty great. I don't consider myself an outdoors-man, though some do; I don't go to Red River Gorge every weekend like some people I know, and I don't go kayaking more than twice a month. But I do love the outdoors, during any season, and there's nothing better than hiking through uncharted territory (despite the spiders one always encounters). As to wildlife, on this trip we saw all sorts of turtles--snappers and soft-shells--and even a giant snake coiled around a half-submerged log. Beautiful creatures.

Now to go spread some aloe vera on my tender parts.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...