Monday, June 07, 2010

the dayton days XVIII


Memorial Day. Today we had a cookout in New Carlisle with Dad's side of the family. I got there two hours late because I had my Midpoint Review with Faith at Spring Valley. I got all Great reviews and two Excellents. She says I'm very personable and everyone likes working with me. Up in New Carlisle, we ate lunch and played volleyball and I went kayaking in Aunt Julie's pond. Ams & I got back around 6:00, and she went down to Cincinnati. Tyler came over for a little while, and we did the usual. Lots of rain came through. Hammering, thunderous rains. I gave Mandy K. a call and went to bed.

Tuesday. Talking to Mandy K. was good last night. In August I hope to go visit her in Wisconsin. I worked 6:30-1:00, went to the gym, did some reading (N.T. Wright) and had chickens and mushrooms for dinner. Dylan & Tyler came over, and we went to D.L.M. and then to Starbucks. Mom came by with her crew of high school girls from her Tuesday night small group. We went back to the house and played Mario-Kart. Ams called complaining about Sarah: "Now she can't pay first month's rent." She spends all her money on beer at the weekend bars and pizza for dinner throughout the week, then begs Ams to front her cash. "She's already borrowed so much money and hasn't paid me back."

Wednesday. I went to Caesar's Creek for a bit this morning, read 1 Peter and prayed. I had sushi for lunch and worked 12-8:30 (and this time the power didn't go out!). a massive storm came through, the biggest yet this year. Lightning dancing all around, drenching rains, thunder shaking the store. "It's amazing that something can be so beautiful and yet so destructive at the same time," Carly mused, too which I replied, "Kinda like premarital sex." This I know too well.

Thursday. I worked 7-12:00 with J.J., Jessica, and Asenath. I had a granola bar and espresso for lunch and then too a nap. I went to Borders by the Mall and got N.T. Wright's newest book. Dylan & Tyler came over for a good dinner--potatoes, chicken, and mushrooms--and then we played Mario-Kart (a staple!) and sat on the front porch smoking and talking (staple number two!). We went to D.L.M. and then to Franklin, where I dropped off my resume for a church looking for a part-time preacher. I'm not anxious about it. "I've told God that I want the task, and I know if it is His will, it will happen. But right now I'm at a place where I'm beginning to get back on track, beginning to think about things, and if it's more profitable for me, now, to remain as a non-leader in a church, and if God in his wisdom doesn't make this happen, then I'll be content with it."

Friday. I woke late and went to North Park and spent some time in prayer and meditation. I worked 1-9:30 with Abby, Lourdes, Betsy, and Aubree. Carly and I hung out after work. She's super cool, and envious of my study habits. Forrest came in and worked, which is always good. On the 24th we're having Wade's "work" baby shower at my place.

Saturday. I worked 6:30-3:00 with Wade, Jessica, Asenath, Denise, and Faith. On break I had a wrap and read more N.T. Wright. I headed down to Cincinnati after work, a huge storm following me the entire way. When I arrived at the Claypole House for the first ever House Party, we started drinking. It was a good night with good folk: Rob & Mandy, Amos, Tony & Jessie, Blake, Ams, Sarah, the whole crew. More people started showing up: Brandy, Dominic, the Sulzeners. Two cute girls came, too--Anna and Claire--and I talked with them for a while. Blake, Mandy, Ams, Sarah, Amos, Blake & I danced to club music. I went to bed around 4 AM, crashing on Tony's sofa in what's called "the walk-through room" (you have to go through it to get upstairs, where Blake and Rob & Mandy live). Noteworthy: one guy came to the party, some dude named Jeff, who's a real-life pimp prostituting out women. He says it's his destiny, and he says women will be used for sex anyways, so why not profit off it? He pointed out that his 'employees' had been physically hurt by men in the past, and he honors their vulnerability by protecting them. NO: he takes their brokenness and exploits it. There are some people in this world who deserve a swift judgment. "I fucking hate him," Rob growled. I agreed.

D-DAY Anniversary. I woke up around 9 AM and went to the Starbucks in Mariemont for coffee and then cruised around northern Kentucky for a while. Jessie & I went to the big flea market on 75. Trader's World? I got two coffee cups and a pair of sandals. Dewenter came over when I got back into Dayton, and we sat on the front porch and talked. Exhausted and feeling sick (abrupt weather change?), I went to bed pretty early.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...