Tuesday, June 08, 2010

randoms

Life has been pretty hectic lately between work and play. I've been working full-time plus hanging out with people constantly. On Saturday I went to a great party down in Cincinnati with all kinds of crazy and fabulous people. Lots of great expensive beer, hard cider, vodka and bourbon. I don't get drunk, but I don't avoid the stuff like the black plague, either. Throughout the night I took probably five or six shots, didn't feel a thing. There were others puking and passing out all over the place, though. I enjoyed great conversation with friends and strangers on the back porch, and we even had our own "dance party" in the empty dining room, dancing to great hits by Keisha and Ashanti and Black Eyed Peas. Sunday morning Jessie and I went to the flea market off I-75, and I got a sweet pair of sandals and two coffee cups. I just got back from Cincinnati, visiting my old friend Monica Palmer. We celebrated the (roughly) anniversary of her rejection of my romantic interests by grabbing coffee at Refuge, getting lunch at Aroma's while visiting Jessie, and then walking around Newport taking pictures. Here is a picture she got of me standing before the city. Yeah, the shades are pretty fantastic (25 cents at Wal-Mart, a gift from the wonderful Jessie Myers):


I'm really enjoying work. Even when I don't want to go in, I end up having fun. The people there are great to work with, and I always have a blast laughing and joking around while getting work done. I'm a great multi-tasker when it comes to blending work with play. I thought about how it's funny that within my circle of friends, half of us work in coffee: Rob and Nate at Refuge, Jessie at Aroma's, me at Starbucks; and many of our friends--Mandy, Amos, etc.--have spent time working at coffee houses. We all just love coffee. My room is decked out in coffee decor (a few hanging coffee bags, some framed pictures of latte art, some miscellaneous coffee signs, pounds of coffee serving as book-ends). Coffee is definitely a big part of my life, though I will never be as skilled as Rob (check out this dragon he made):


As I said in an earlier post, I am done reading "Surprised By Hope" by N.T. Wright. I have moved on to "Simply Christian," and reading it is refreshing as always. I love what he writes about the Spirit of God being an engagement ring, a promise of a wedding future (but take it easy, let's not get this idea that God is supposed to take the place of our boyfriends or girlfriends; that idea is ludicrous). His writings on Jesus are great, and he does a great job of setting Jesus within the framework of second-temple Palestinian Judaism, a far better job than (I believe) Sanders did in his 1977 publication. I am still wrestling with Wright's analysis of Jesus' understanding of himself. He doesn't deny the Christian belief that Jesus is fully God and fully human, but he shows how within evangelical Christianity, the tendency has been to slide towards Jesus being more divine than human, and we almost have a sort of docetism brewing, albeit subtly, in the minds and thoughts of contemporary Christians. His analysis of Jesus' understanding within the framework of being fully human and fully divine is quite challenging but refreshing.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...