Wednesday, May 04, 2011

of watson & holmes

Yesterday evening I went out to Dorothy Lane Market to pick up some dinner. The Market always has fresh pickings and made-to-order sandwiches (and, as a plus, decent sushi). I walked straight to the sushi and who did I run into? None other than Doctor Watson. It was quite a surprise to see her there, and then Holmes showed up a few minutes later, carrying a bushel of apples she's setting aside. "I'm going to try all the different varieties!" she exclaimed. I planned on having dinner alone, but I was quite happy to enjoy dinner with these two blokes. We ate on the mezzanine and Holmes split half her sandwich with me, and I gave her half her sushi. And, luckily, I didn't run into my stalker. Oh, this is a fun story, let me begin...

About a year ago, this girl started come through Starbucks. She would chat me up, and she was cute, so I talked to her, too. Because I frequent the Market, I would run into her quite often. Something seemed a bit "off" about her, and Carly clued me into some things I didn't know. Anyways, she calls me "Starbucks Guy" and has asked for my name, but I've never given it to her. When she's working, sometimes I'll try to avoid her, going through the farthest cash-out lane. If she spies me, she'll shout my name and wave. Very good-natured, I'll give her that. Things got a little weird, however, when she started telling her co-workers about me. This came to my attention when Carly went through her line the other day, and she struck up conversation.


"I know you from somewhere," the girl said.
"Probably from Starbucks or Southbrook," Carly said.
"Yes! You work at the Starbucks down the road!"
The bagger said, "Oh, is this your Starbucks girl?"
"No," she said. "I have a Starbucks guy."
Carly said, "Oh, who is it? Maybe I know him?"
"He's the cute guy with blond hair."
"Anthony? Yeah, he's one of my best friends!"


Carly told me, "She seemed pretty put off by me saying that. I almost told her to stop creeping on my koala!" Thankfully, back to last night's incident, I didn't run into her. She was, however, working, at least when Carly went through the line. "She always eyes me weird now that she knows I know you. It's kind of freaking me out a bit." Well. At least now her attentions are turned upon Carly and not on me! Haha. Seriously, though, it's really no big deal. She's a nice girl, just a little weird, and she's in high school, too, so, yeah. Most of us baristas have our stalkers; indeed, Jessica ran into one of hers just yesterday, an old "friend" who constantly tried to convert her to Mormonism. 


"Your stalker is Mormon, and mine is a Jehovah's Witness," I told her. "We've nearly got all the cults covered. Now Carly needs a stalker with an agenda."

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...