Monday, May 02, 2011

the dayton days [66]

Her nickname is now Mochahontas!

Monday. Carly and I car-pooled to a store meeting in Oakwood at noon. We stopped at the DLM like we did last time, picked up some creme sodas. Faith brought pizza. The new and cute and pregnant hire Kendra rode back with us. We arrived at the store and I was about to leave when Jessica called, asked me to wait around for her. We smoked on the patio before the rains came. Jessica invited me over to help her pack for the move to Wilmington. I headed to her apartment, but we didn't do much packing, just hanging out. We made a beer run, lounged around on the sofa, and Faith and her husband came by and we loaded up some furniture for them (well, he and I did). I played with her little boy Parker for a bit. He loves his stuffed duck. Faith made some comment about Jess and me. Jess just laughed. Faith's been subtly encouraging Jess to date me. They left, and Jess & I smoked some cigarettes and then I headed home. When I got into bed, Jess called me panicking: some guy followed her around in his car after I left. I calmed her down, helped her to think rationally, convinced her to go to her brother's (for her own sanity), and stayed on the phone with her till she was safe.

Tuesday. I worked 5:30-1:30. After work Carly, Jessica and I grabbed China Cottage for lunch. Carly went into work at 3:00. Jess and I went by the 'Bux for coffee and a cigarette, and as we went our separate ways, Faith kiddingly jested, "Have fun, you two!" But we didn't hang out: she had to actually start packing. When I arrived home, I found Grandpa M. there. It was quite the surprise, since he told no one he was coming. He joined Mom, Dad, Grandma and I for lunch at Marion's Pizza. 

Wednesday. I worked 6:30-3:00. Remember Claire from high school, an old crush of mine? She's married now, has a kid, and I see her nearly every day when she comes through the DT for her drink. It's kind of weird. we were shiftless for an hour, and during that hour Asenath gossiped about what happened with Betsy walking out last night: she got pissed at Faith for some reason and up and quit. It pissed me off, so I called Jess and told her about it. She said, "Asenath's this close to being fired, she knows better than to be like that on the floor." I ran to Tri-County to pick up a Sureshot from the store there, and I went and visited Ams since she was working in the food court. I made a fruitless visit to 1/2 Price and headed home amidst hammering rain. Dorothy Lane Market flooded, there were tornadoes in New York City, and another one in Covington. Jess called me on my drive and we talked for a little bit.

Thursday. I worked 6-2:00 with Jess and Carly. Jess left at 1:00, and when I got off work, Carly and I sat on the patio for a bit. I called Faith and told her what went down on the floor, Asenath running her mouth. I kinda felt like a tattletale, but both Jess and Cars wanted me to do it, since I was the only one who was there, and if they spoke up it'd be hearsay. I spent the afternoon writing, and then Carly and I met up at Gyro Palace. She told me, "Devyn and I went to Dorothy Lane and your girl was there, and we had an interesting talk." She relayed it to me:

The Girl: "I know you from somewhere."
Carly: "Probably from Starbucks or Southbrook Church."
Her: "Starbucks!"
The Bagger: "Is this the Starbucks girl you always talk about?"
Her: "No, I have a Starbucks guy."
Cars: "Oh, who is it? Maybe I know him?"
Her: "He's the cute blonde guy."
Cars: "Anthony? Yeah, he's one of my best friends!"

Carly told me, "She seemed pretty put off by me saying that. She's a weirdo, and she needs to stop creeping on my koala!" I tend to attract the weirdos, the creepers, the psychos & the desperate. "Maybe they sense some sort of connection with me?" I quipped. But Carly said, "You may be awkward, but not in a creepy, off-putting way." I told her I'm just a rehabilitated creepo. We spent the evening at her place, made a trip to The K, and watched a movie: "The Prestige." Devyn came by before we left, and we smoked cigarettes out in front of the apartment. Jessica called me on my way home, said she went to a Pure Romance party in Wilmington. I do like Jessica, but I've decided (for the time being) to let the cards fall where they will. Maybe one day we'll be together, and be happy, maybe even in love, and that'd be nice. But if not, no worries.

Friday. I dreamt Jessica and I were dating, and I woke up to Grandma watching The Royal Wedding. I ran some errands at the Mall and had sushi for lunch before working 3-10:15 with Carly, Leah, and Kendra. "Your name reminds me of an eight-headed Greek monster. Or... a sea polyp." Leah and I were cool, but I'm pretty sure she's not over me: she practically dry humped me behind the bar at one point. She commented on how my boxers were cute, and Cars exclaimed, "WTF, Leah?!" The night was pretty crazy with lots of rushes, so Carly got us all Indian food. It was my first taste, I liked it. 

Saturday. I worked a long and tiring 9-5:30. People kept commenting on how thin I look: Leah, Devyn, Carly. Back home Dylan came over and we shared some beers and climbed trees and smoked cigarettes on the porch. A chill night. I'll miss these days when he jets off to Africa, I really will. 

Sunday. Finally, a day off! I slept in till about 9:00, made a French-pressed coffee, spent the morning writing at the Route 48 Starbucks and working out. I went by work and hung out with Jess during her 10. Gene, one of the regulars, is really getting on her nerves. "We're about to throw down," she hissed. I ran by the bank and then to 1/2 Price. I helped Dad do some lawn work before the rains returned.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...