Monday, May 30, 2011

memorial day weekend

The weekend’s been hectic, to say the least.

Friday. After work I headed down to Amanda’s apartment in Cincinnati, and we hit up Yagoot (a frozen yogurt shop) and Penn Station for dinner. We linked up with Mandy, John Gambill, T.J. and Amos at the Claypole House. Amos broke out the hookah and Rob joined in.

Saturday. Having spent the night at the Claypole House, I woke around 9:00 and made the drive back home. Took a four-hour recuperation nap, then spent the entire day cleaning, running errands, etc. Dad and I grabbed dinner at Applebee’s and Amanda came up and we smoked out on the back porch.

Sunday. The busiest day by far: I drove out to my friend Kyle’s marriage to his then-fiancé, now-wife Vicki. It was a 2 ½ hour drive out there, and I served as an usher and then spent the reception reconnecting with some old friends I hadn’t seen in a while: Josh and Mikaela, who’re now a couple. In the past weddings have made me depressed, the envy over love found and the sadness that I haven’t yet found it. Not the case Sunday. I wasn’t happy (other than being happy for them, of course), I was just apathetic. Shrugging my shoulders. I’ve become way too cynical to be moved by weddings. The warmth of love kindled can’t melt away the icy stone-cold shell of bitterness and stoicism wrapped around my heart.

Today (Memorial Day) has been rather uneventful. I’m glad just to have a chance to relax. I slept in, took a nap, and went for a drive with the windows rolled down and the sunroof open and just cruised down the winding country roads. A motorcyclist-wannabe, perhaps. Later Mom, Dad and I are getting dinner at O’Leary’s Pub, and then I’m going to be working out and going to bed. Between Then & Now I’ve got a lot of packing and getting ready to do. Tomorrow I open the store with Jessica, then I have a job interview in downtown Cincinnati at 2:00, and then I’m heading up to Wilmington for an all-night campout with a bonfire. It should be a ravishing good time, but I’ve still got to get everything together. Hopefully later in the week I’ll be able to take a breath again, but that’s doubtful.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...