Tuesday, August 26, 2014

the reformation (II)

As promised: a ridiculous facial expression.

It's been six weeks since I started "the reformation" (basically working out a lot, running, and eating healthier). I think a lot of it boils down (or boiled down) to me wanting to gain control over something in my life. At this point, I'm still doing it because I enjoy it. There's nothing as great as endorphins flooding your system, and the effects have been pretty good. My arms are getting better, my stamina is increasing, and my chest is getting better, though they're still rather "perky".

Fun fact: I have a weird-shaped rib-cage.
I had X-Rays done in 2012. My doctor said, "This is weird."
He showed me the scans: "You have some really weird ribs."
Basically they bow outwards. Giving me "perky" breasts (as I like to say).
I'd make a gourmet Donner Party St. Louis Style basket. 

My exercise regimen with weight-lifting alternates between a variety of muscle groups. The first (which I entitled "Exhausting Arm Workout") focuses on biceps, triceps, and forearms. It's the most exhausting of all the workouts I do. The second workout focuses on my chest, shoulders, and back; and the third focuses on my legs. I've also been doing crunches to help tone my stomach, but I'll always have a good deal of pudge around my midsection (it's genetic), so if I ever get a six-pack, it won't be able to be seen. #firstworldproblem

I've also been running a lot. I've been doing the Couch to 5K (or C25K, in shorthand). I have a cool App on my phone that's zombie-themed: whenever it's time to run rather than walk, I hear a zombie snarl and I have to run like I'm being chased. Exhilerating! I'll be able to run a 5K by October, and then I'm going to start training for a 10K. And after that... A 20K? I think that'd be a half-marathon. Maybe if I work my ass off I'll be able to join Dad on an Iron Man one of these years. 

*GULP* What if I'm turning into him?
All this looks a LOT like how he got started.
But look at him; he's such a badass:

Just getting ready for a sixty-mile bike ride in the morning before church.
No big deal.

At John & Brandy's, we've been watching American Ninja Warrior. Basically it's a set of crazy, insane obstacle courses and people compete to see who can complete them. At first it bored me, but I've become oddly fascinated. One of my favorite participants is a 5'2" dude who is, quite simply, a MACHINE. I'm always inspired by short people being awesome, and I've got two and a half inches on him! I also love how his shortness isn't an insecurity (or if it is, he doesn't let it show); he just says, "Yes, I'm short. So that means I have to be faster, and stronger, and more agile than everyone else." He doesn't see weaknesses; he sees areas where he can excel. Simply amazing. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...