Friday, April 21, 2006

After playing seven games of ping-pong with Cassie (maybe the longest stretch of games I've ever played), I went to the View to look over Cincinnati. My contemplation turned to prayer (contemplative prayer, I guess), where my thoughts evolved into prayers rising up to my God. I prayed, "GOD, give me opportunities to advance your kingdom, and please bring me in Your time a companion in the mission you've called me to, a girl who is passionate about You and Your kingdom, a girl who will encourage me and watch over me and join me in my ministry, a girl whom I can share life with. I pray that until that time You will give me the strength and patience to endure, and I pray that I will use my season of singleness to advance your kingdom." I left the View feeling a sense of overwhelming peace regarding the whole "girl thing," a peace that "transcends all understanding," as the scriptures put it.

We had a guest speaker in chapel Tuesday and Thursday. His name is Bart Campolo, and although I wasn't in chapel (Tuesdays and Thursdays are my only mornings to sleep in, I shamefully confess), my friend Forest filled me in on what he spoke about. Here at C.C.U., the message that flies under the radar is the message that all life is about is "winning souls." Campolo shot that concept down: "It's not all about 'winning souls.' Not everyone is going to embrace the gospel, but does that mean that we just give up on them and ignore them? No. GOD calls us to be ministers, and we can minister in so many different ways. GOD has given all of us gifts to use for His kingdom. We are serving others when we are teaching them the gospel and when we are teaching them to read. We are serving others when we are giving people spiritual food and when we are giving them bread and butter on the streets. We are advancing GOD's kingdom into the lives of others, not just through preaching the gospel but also through being compassionate, caring, and merciful to the hurting and needy. We hope and pray that those we reach out to will embrace the new life found in Christ, but if they do not, we still care for them, help them, and show them GOD's love."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that Tony Compolo's son? Tony spoke at Lee and he was good.

darker than silence said...

i have no idea

i was asking people the same question but no one knew

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...