Monday, April 03, 2006

Last night my little sister and I talked over AIM. I don't know how the conversation reached this point, but eventually we started sharing our dreams for our life. Amanda's dream involves getting married, having kids, and watching them grow up. My dream involves getting married, having kids, watching them grow up, and serving GOD in some form of ministry through teaching and preaching and relationships. As we were talking, I said something to this extent, though nowhere near as elaborate: "Sometimes I wish GOD would just take me now. I don't mean that in a suicidal way. I've tasted GOD. I've experienced GOD. When Paul writes in Philippians that he very much wants to return GOD in paradise, I would always say, 'No thanks.' Now that I understand what paradise really is, I just want to go there. I want the new heavens and new earth--consummation!--to be here now. This life I lead--these lives we all lead--are lives of suffering, heartbreak, and sorrow. I want to get rid of all of this. I want to live with GOD, with others, and with creation in an atmosphere of joy, laughter, and happiness."

I then added, "But GOD hasn't taken me out yet. I think that the reason He doesn't just take His followers to heaven to be with Him in paradise is because He wants us to partake in His mission in the world. And that's why I'm still here: I have a job to do, a job where I co-labor with GOD in advancing His kingdom of love and justice and acceptance into His family."

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...