Thursday, April 06, 2006

I ate the best-tasting tuna sandwich ever in life this afternoon. My 40-day fast from video games and meat has concluded! Yesterday I went to Mt. Echo to pray and mull over what GOD has taught me through this fast. I plan on going there later today, as well, for the same purposes. I love to connect with GOD in the quiet, to feel His presence and to hear His voice. Bathing in His presence fills my day with joy, peace, and contentment. Here are the three primary lessons which GOD has taught me over this time of fasting:

1) Like Paul, I have a "thorn" in my side. This "thorn" is not some sin or vice, for it is not conquerable my any human effort. This "thorn" can only be removed by GOD, but yet GOD does not remove it. This "thorn", as many of my frequent readers have probably guessed, is my hopeless romanticism. It is my unfulfilled desires for romance that cause me much suffering. I have often cried out to GOD for the desires to be taken away; speaking figuratively, I have told my friends, "I wish I were castrated, because then I would be able to focus more totally on GOD's kingdom." GOD does not answer my prayers for this "thorn" to be removed. He merely speaks to me: "My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength is manifested and seen in your weakness." I do believe, however, that one day this "thorn" will be removed, but for now, I must rely on GOD's grace and rely on His strength in times of emotional agony. As to this "thorn" being removed, GOD speaks: "Hope in Me. Trust in Me. Wait--and watch!"

2) GOD has reiterated His calling of my life into the ministry. In particular, I believe He has called me to take His message (as revealed in scripture) to the suburban, middle-class, postmodern America. He has rejuvenated the passion for His kingdom and Name within me; He has spurned me on towards actively advancing His kingdom; He has convicted me of my need to use this period of college to extensively learn what His message is all about, all its trimmings and trappings. He has also reiterated how I am called to be His missionary not only in the future, but now where I am--here in my dorm, here on campus, here in Cincinnati, here in Ohio. GOD has spoken to me: "My will is that you advance My kingdom. Prepare the way for consummation."

3) GOD has been showing me how much I really need to spend bathing in His presence. With all of the schoolwork weighing upon me, my time in "desert communion" (as John Eldredge calls it) has been marginalized. GOD has told me, "Return to bathing in My presence. Return to seeking My face above all else. Return to spending time with Me several times a day." I remember last May when I made it a priority to spend time in lectio divina three times a day. By meeting GOD in those moments of prayer, meditation, and reflection, I experienced true joy, happiness, and contentment despite suffering.

1 comment:

agapetos said...

What an inspiring entry! God has been nudging me more and more to spend more time acknowledging and reflecting on His presence.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...