Saturday, April 15, 2006

my easter weekend

I came home Thursday night, and as I was getting into bed, Dylan and Tyler from Lee University called and wanted to hang out. I jumped at the idea; when they came over, I got a fire started and we smoked cigars with my father, swapping school stories (mostly pranks) and talking about life and GOD.

The thunderstorms lately have been amazing; last night Ashlie and I stood before the back windows and watched the lightning. She exclaimed, "Omigosh, there's a lightning burst seriously like every five seconds!" I actually counted the seconds in my head and said, "They're coming a lot quicker than that." We went to Starbucks in the rain; Dylan and Tyler were there, but they left, so we just sat and talked. At night, back home, I stood in the shelter of the garage and watched the lightning snaking across the sky, reminded of Moses going up Mount Sinai for the first and second times, the message echoing inside me: to His enemies, GOD is to be feared, a whirlwind of disaster and terror and doom; to His friends, GOD is a great banquet, a friend, a sanctuary. It is a great honor to call myself GOD's friend not based on any merit of my own achievment but on the blood of Christ that covers me.

This morning, Chris and I were supposed to go to Sugarcreek Reserve to hike around for a while. He didn't show up at 9:00 as he was supposed to, so I sat around and waited until 9:30. Finally I drove to his house, saw his car parked on the street, and rang the doorbell and knocked twenty times--no one answered. Determined on waking him up, I broke into the house through the back window and woke him up. He dressed quickly, and we picked up Patrick on our way to the woods. It was an amazing time! Nature is so beautiful. This evening I went to my grandmother's house where I stuffed myself on Easter goodies.

I don't know if I teach class tomorrow; if so, the series on the kingdom of GOD continues, including an emphasis on the importance of Christ's resurrection in the scheme of things. Mom is supposed to buy me some sandals, then I am going back to Cincinnati Christian University to clean the room a little and work on a research paper on cheap grace theology (calling it out as heresy). I might go down to the Ohio River tomorrow night with Caleb or Brian or someone, where it's always fun to just sit on the benches and look at the rising skyscrapers while talking about all that life throws our way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

your father must be a bad influence on you to allow you to smoke. look beyond his bad habits. ( what kind did you smoke?)The plastic tip ones are good.

darker than silence said...

We smoked blunts.

P.S. my father is one of the best influences in my life

Anonymous said...

his father picked up that bad habit from a friend who rides a harley, carries his cigars in an ammo box, and picks fights with people at starbucks

Rochelle said...

Yeah that same "Harley" guy influenced my husband in the same way ...Cigars...ugh!

Dylan said...

I think it's very relaxing...so poop on you guys.

darker than silence said...

haha, i miss those Starbucks nights...

Anonymous said...

your friend sounds like a cool dude.The one person named dylan said poop on you. Is that like the monkeys at the zoo?

Unknown said...

Your dang right it's relaxing

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...