Monday, April 17, 2006

Tonight Brian and I are going to his parsonage in the hills of Kentucky to hang out, watch movies, and throw back in the middle of nowhere. We are going to sleep in, wake up, and grill steaks for lunch before heading back to campus. On Wednesday there is no class because of community service day. Caleb, Brian and I are going to be on a team working down on Warsaw handing out flyers of some sort. If I don't do it, I fail evangelism. Brian says, "We're going to get shot." Megan sighs, "Good luck, Boys." Here's one of my favorite quotes in the book I'm reading:

As my teacher Tony Campolo used to ask, "Even if there were no heaven and there were no hell, would you still follow Jesus? Would you follow him for the life, joy, and fulfillment he gives you right now?" I am more and more convinced each day that I would. Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about the afterlife. We are going to party like there's no tomorrow... And I am convinced that Jesus came not just to prepare us to die but to teach us how to live. Otherwise, much of Jesus' wisdom would prove quite unnecessary for the afterlife... And the kingdom that Jesus speaks so much about is not just something we hope for after we die but is something we are to incarnate now. Jesus says the kingdom is "within us," "among us," "at hand," and we are to pray that it comes "on earth as it is in heaven." No wonder the early Christian church was known as the Way. (117-118)

This, I believe, is the point of the gospel: the kingdom of GOD among us. I am in the process of writing an essay on the kingdom of GOD (as I see it), and I will post it on here as soon as it's finished. I believe the kingdom of GOD is probably the most important message we should preach, yet we often completely disregard it or make the mistake of thinking that it is something we experience only after we die.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...