Sunday, April 30, 2006

Monica and Jessica Cadwell—two friends from my school—taught the Jr. High class for a school project. While I don’t know Jessica that well, she seems like a pretty cool girl. I embraced the opportunity to teach the High School students, and I taught on the “Red Sea Showdown” between Yahweh and the Egyptian goddess Hathor. Because of the parent-child dedication, we only had thirty minutes to teach instead of fifty, so I was forced to rush the story and the questions, and I felt like it had come out as rubbish (depressing, because I was really excited to teach this lesson). My spirits were lifted, however, when I learned that many new kids enjoyed it, Jackie was focused, and Megan found it extremely interesting. Nathan told me the lesson was amazing: “My dad is a youth minister, and he’s never done a lesson that well.” I don’t see how they liked it so much, because I felt rushed and pressed-for-time, but I guess GOD had my back. It is encouraging to see that He still works through me despite my imperfections. As I dismissed them, I closed with this: “Just as the Egyptians worshipped many different gods, so we, too, worship many different gods today. We worship the god of wealth, the god of money, and the god of pleasure. However, these gods do not hold any power, and those who worship them will find no fulfillment. Life is found only in the true God, Yahweh, so serve Him and dedicate your lives to Him.”

As I said, it is encouraging that GOD works through me despite my imperfections. When I look at my life, I see all of the dirt, all of the depravity, all of the sin. I have conquered some sins, but more have simply grown up in their spot. If it is not lust I wrestle with, it is anger or pride. I find it beautiful that GOD forgives my sin, pulls me into His arms, and tenderly whispers, “I love you, I love you, I love you.” How can I not be inspired to run after Him and dedicate my life to Him? David Crowder catches it best in his song Wholly Yours: “But the harder I try, the more clearly can I feel the depth of our fall and the weight of it all; and this might could be the most impossible thing: Your grandness in me making me clean.” GOD has called me to His work despite my imperfections; how can I not fall to my knees in worship of such a crazy, insane, loving God?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good post anth. I continue to be amazed by His grace. He always reminds me of it when I spend time sharing with Him my struggles.

I love your closing comments about the many different Gods we worship today - simply look at how we spend our time and our money - is it selfish or selfless? Action speaks louder than words.

dad

agapetos said...

God just loves to use us when we are weak and frail and not holding it all together in our own strength! What your students saw was God in your talk. Sometimes we need to be thrown off kilter, so that we get out of the way and let Him show through. We are merely vessels that He chooses to use for His glory!

Fiona said...

Wow beautiful words, wish I could have a lesson like that. Maybe you could change the thoughts of the people here ;)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...