Tuesday, August 15, 2006

my first day back

I woke up at 10:30 a.m., possibly the longest I've slept in for several months. The bed felt amazing, and I slept like a baby. I took a long, hot shower; the water comes down so hard it's like a massage. Caleb woke up and we went to the bookstore. Becky was there, so we talked for a little while, catching up. As Caleb and I were leaving, Trista exploded in the doorway and embraced me. We laughed together and called each other names, as usual. Caleb and I went to C.V.S. for some basic hygeine equipment, then grabbed lunch at the ghetto Taco Bell. We ate our food while watching "The Boondock Saints" in our bedroom. Caleb ran off to work, so I took a nap for a little while.

Finally I went up to the coffee shop, hanging out with Amos and Caleb, drinking "beer" (a mix of apple juice and Sierra Mist) and laughing together. Monica and Trista came in, joining us. Amos mentioned that the coffee shop was hiring, so all three of us decided to jump on board. We had our interviews, filled out our paperwork, and got hired. Amos and Caleb, let's be honest, are rigging the team with friends, but, ultimately, it's "who you know" that gets you anywhere in the world. That's just how it works. Kyle and Becky were hired later tonight, too. It's going to be amazing this semester. Working in a coffee shop with all my good friends here on campus: Caleb, Nate, Amos, Lizzie, Andrew, Kyle, Monica, Trista, Rob, to name a few. Wow, it's going to be fan-freaking-tastic. Plus, I have my job situation taken care of. If I work mornings, I'll be able to reap in lots of hours, so that's what I'm going to do.

I helped Nate (supervisor at the coffee shop) move some of his furniture from his old apartment on Rosemont to his apartment on campus. We went to Subway to eat, but I didn't get anything. It started to rain as we were moving things into his truck, so we decided to bolt (only after I decided to scale a fifteen-foot wall with my bare feet, receiving a small scent of memories from Red River Gorge). I returned to the coffee shop to hang out with Lizzie, Kyle, and Amos. Trista challenged me to two games of pool, beating me both times. Monica and I sat out on the steps and talked about all that's happened over the summer. She saw pictures of Sonja and said, "She's so pretty!!!"

Speaking of Sonja, I hope to see her Thursday night. Tomorrow I am going to Lexington to visit my aunt for a few days, and I hope to swing by her place on the way back and hang out before heading to campus. It's so amazing that we're only fifteen minutes away from each other now, driving on the highway. Amazing!

4 comments:

Mike said...

no mention of seeing me??? I see how it is.

darker than silence said...

I will cover that tomorrow... you get a post all of your own! Hah.

Anonymous said...

Anth,

Does this mean I can get a free coffee whenever I come down to visit?

Dad

Anonymous said...

Heh. Maybe. Depends who the supervisor is.

- anth

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...