Saturday, August 12, 2006

Sonja called me late last night (around 10:00), and asked if I could stay on the phone with her. I asked, "Why?" and she said, "I'm at my cousin's, and it's really scary here." So I stayed on the phone with her until she fell asleep. How cute. I am leaving here in an hour and a half to pick her up; she's visiting good ol' Springboro, cruising my streets and meeting my family. She's excited but nervous at the same time; I can imagine, for I remember how nervous yet glad I felt when I got to meet her mom and dad.

Before I left to pick Ams up from The Garage, I sat out on my back porch and just... thought. It is not something I've had much time to do, especially lately with work and projects for school all falling atop my head at the same time (work has officially ended and I only have two more projects to do). There are a lot of people who live their lives without hopes or dreams, living just in the moment, for various reasons. "Life is too risky," one might say, "so what's the point of dreaming?" I have run into Christians who aren't a fan of dreams because they "might conflict with what God has in store for us." Part of me, however, believes that our dreams are a great hint towards God's dreams for our lives. Anyways, so I sat out on the porch, felt the cool breeze, and thought about where I want to be in ten, fifteen, twenty years. A dream life, you could say.


I want to live in a small cabin with a walk-around porch, a cabin with fireplaces and quilts. I love quilts.

I want to be married to a wonderful girl, and I want to have a kid. My greatest dreams are to be a good husband and a good father (hopefully in that order!).

I want to have a good ministry, preferably teaching at a school or college somewhere, or preaching in a small church.

Basically, I dream of a simple life with a loving family and a loving God. That just about sums it up. I pray for this life every morning, noon, and night. Will I ever experience it? I don't know. I sure do hope so! I dare to believe I will experience it, but, ultimately, it is in God's hands. Perhaps He has a different plan for my life. I'm not sure. I don't think there's anything wrong,
though, with expressing our deep desires and loves; not at all. I dare to believe that the life I desire--what I have came to call the "psalm 16 life" based on a personal lectio divina of psalm 16 in the Message version--is the life God has for me. The only way I'll ever know is if it materializes somewhere down the road.

Nevertheless, I am happy and content where I am at now.

1 comment:

agapetos said...

Okay, you are just too darn cute! I love the "quilts" comment!!! How indearing can you possibly be?! Our church is FULL of women who are mad (nearly literally!) about quilting! They are about to put on their 3rd quilt show .... I also love quilts ... when someone else makes them though!!
Hope you have a rich and blessed day with Sonja and your family! Take good care of her! I still remember the first day I met my husband's family ... it was very scarey ...!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...