Friday, August 11, 2006

Yesterday morning I drove down to campus to take my final exam on Job, Lamentations, and Ecclesiastes. The professor fixed us some coffee, showing me a secret of the trade to make it much stronger. I took my test in the quiet, listening to the gurgling of the coffeepot, writing down the story of Job's life, what repentance means according to Lamentations, and an essay on why Ecclesiastes is such a strange book. I took my paper to the professor and he graded it. I sat down in his office and looked over the walls. He had a 300-year-old page out of the Hebrew book of Numbers. We hung out for a little while, talking about all sorts of things. He is my favorite professor; he does not let human tradition shape his views, and for this he is often very heretical. "The school should let me teach the class on heaven and hell," he said, "but they'd kick me out before I even began!" Right now he is contemplating the idea of whether or not people can come to repentance in hell, based off of a very odd verse in the apocalypse of Revelation. I also like him because he reminds me of Sean Connery: his appearance, his mannerisms, even the way he talks.

Sonja and I spent *most* of the day together. Since a wave of rain moved through, we mostly sat out on her front porch and watched the rain fall as we talked. The weather cleared, and we went to the county fair with Nikki and Kevin. Sonja and I were hungry, so we got some Chinese food to eat. Bad move. After a few rides, we had to sit down for a little while and take a breather. We both glowed green. The nausea wore off and we walked around for a little while before heading back to her place around midnight. I want to bring her up to Springboro tomorrow, but her mom has to approve (obviously). So we're still waiting on the news for that. Even if she can't come up, I hope to spend much of the day with her in Kentucky.

Well, now I have to write an exegesis on Psalm 2. The projects never end!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...