Wednesday, August 09, 2006

summer '06

Well, my summer is coming to a rapid close. As I look out at these past three months, I see lots of ups and downs, mistakes and successes, revelations and dreams coming closer to fulfillment.

It was good to spend lots of time with my home friends: Ashlie, Amanda, Chris, Pat, Lee, Dylan & Tyler, as well as numerous other friends I've made through church and through visits to Starbucks. I've really enjoyed sitting out at Starbucks, talking theology and philosophy with people I barely know. The way I see it, everyone is a theologian and a philosopher; if we have something to say about God, we are theologians; if we have something to say about life, we are philosophers. Who doesn't have something to say about God? Who doesn't have something to say about life? No one can ever agree, but, if you ask me, that's the beauty of it all.

I didn't finish my romantic tragedy, "No Perfect Ending," as I'd hoped to. Oh well. In fact, I haven't really written much of anything. Maybe this will change come school-time, though I doubt it: I have lots of hard classes with lots of projects and tons of studying to do. I plan on visiting the comfortable campus library many times a week (it's just so hard to concentrate in the dorm room, sometimes).

I went through a (silent) bout of depression for a month. It has passed, yes, though some lingering remnants remain, to claw at me every now and again. During this time, I began smoking cigarettes heavily. While I have stopped, it is still a battle. I'm not going to lie to everyone and say that I hated smoking and that I quit because it's some abominable sin; rather, I quit because I don't want to be smoking around my future wife and children, and because I don't want to clock out of this life early, leaving my family behind.

I have learned a lot about myself, especially about my weaknesses. I need some [divine] help on these.

Yet this summer was really good, too, because I met a wonderful girl named Sonja, and Saturday will be our three weeks (the longest relationship I've been in for quite a while). I hope to see this beautiful angel tomorrow (we might be going to the fair in Florence with some friends), and she might come up and visit the family and town on Saturday (if her mom lets her). She is sixteen years old and I am nineteen; this doesn't faze me or her at all, though some people frown upon it. I can't blame her mom if she doesn't want her daughter spending the day with me in an entirely different state.

I am about a quarter done with my projects for my O.T. Poetry class, so I must be getting back to work.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...