Tuesday, September 28, 2010

brighter than noise

Sarah came up and visited me yesterday. We grabbed food at Skyline Chili, ran by the coffee shop, and then we spent the rest of the afternoon playing Wii and sitting on the front porch with French-pressed coffee talking about all sorts of things. After she left Dylan and Tyler came over. We went to the Mall and then, of course, played some Wii. Today I have a work meeting at 1:00 (need to be leaving soon), and then I'm going to work out and get a gourmet salad from D.L.M. for dinner. I'm pretty much addicted to them, and I only put the healthy stuff on it, so there's no loss whatsoever for my dieting extravaganza. My budget is tight this week because I spent $150 on clothes (losing weight, as I told my friend Carly, is financially irresponsible: I need all new clothes). 

I've started a new blog, the URL of which is a parody of this one. It's called Brighter Than Noise, and it's basically something of a day-by-day devotional. The first week is all about how we perceive the world and how our perceptions of the world must change in light of the kingdom of God. I'm trying to write it pretty dumbed-down, unlike my book on repentance where I use words that are simple to understand for those who have gone through biblical studies; ultimately, I want it to be something anyone can read. Mostly, though, it's for myself: it gives me more motivation to spend some "Quiet Time" with God. I hate that phrase but I can't, at the moment, think of anything better. Once I finish the week-long debut about how Christians are to re:orient their thinking and praxis, I'm going to go through St. Paul's prison epistles, one-by-one, and then maybe jump into the Gospel of Mark or something. It's a good discipline for myself, and if anyone reads it, hopefully it'll be enlightening for them as well.

Now I need to head off to Oakwood. It's about a 30-minute drive for me. Afterwards I'll probably walk around town sipping some coffee. Nothing bad about that.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...