Monday, September 06, 2010

the dayton days (32)

aerial view of Caesar's Creek
Monday. I worked 7:30-4:00, and at 5:00 Tyler and I joined Ams, who's in town, for dinner at Skyline Chili. We played Wii and then went to Wal-Mart and Dad and I self-fumigated the house and the spray felt like pepper spray.

Tuesday. I worked 5-11:00 with Wade, Asenath, Carly, and Tony. Forrest quit and is working across the street at Lexis Nexis. After work I met Clare at I.G.A. and we got waters and went hiking at Caesar's Creek. The old swinging bridge has been torn down! We took off our shoes and waded into the creek and sat down on the rocks and she kept splashing me. We went to the beach and swam for two hours. We grabbed dinner at Taco Bell, and then I dropped her off at I.G.A. so she could hurry to work. Sunburnt and tired, I took a shower and lounged around the house. Oh: Mandy K. is dating someone, that's probably why she cut communication with me this summer. 

Wednesday. I worked 6-1:00 and then had my six-month review and nailed a half-dollar raise. I'm one of the three strong baristas (minus the supervisors). After work I had Subway for lunch. Dylan, Tyler, and Pat D. came over, and we went to North Park and played in the creek, and we headed back to my place for Wii.

Thursday. I worked 5:30-2:00. We had a skeleton crew and were swamped. Partners from Richmond (where Jess Lynn works) and Coleraine covered the evening shifts for a Starbucks outing: canoeing and a bonfire with Jimmy John's subs! 

Friday. I worked 6-8:00 this morning (yes, only two hours) and when I got home I did laundry, worked out, cleaned my room and the front porch. Clare came over around 11:00. I introduced her to Maebe and made her some hot chocolate, and we played Mario-Kart and cuddled on the couch and made out. We took a nap and went to North Park and explored and then she went to work. Clare came by after work and we sat on the back porch, cuddling and watching the stars.

Saturday. I slept in till 9:00 and it was WONDERFUL. I ate light today: just eggs and toast. I went to the Route 48 Starbucks to do some reading (N.T. Wright). I downloaded the Inception soundtrack and helped Dad work on the roof. The weather's beautiful: windy and cool. I broke out my autumn clothes and cowboy boots. I worked 8-10:00 covering for Denise; good times with Abby, Betsy, and Chris. Abby asked if I ever get upset after a review. "No, why?" Apparently girl baristas often cry. "I',m pretty apathetic to it," I said. "I'm not making Starbucks my career." Or at least I hope not. Ams' frustrations with Sarah continue to grow: "She can't pay her bills, and she complains about it, and then she spends all her money on beer, pizza and gas to go to Hamilton every weekend to party it up!" And to make matters worse, she's been laid off from Millennium and has two weeks to find a job. Ams is freaking out, of course, because if Sarah can't pay the bills, Ams is held responsible for rent.

Sunday. I slept in till about 8:00 and went to the Route 48 Starbucks to continue through Wright's "Justification" while sipping an iced chai tea. I worked 3-10:30 covering for Aubree who's in Iowa, and several girls flirted with me. All high schoolers, of course. Things with Clare don't seem to be working out: I like her well enough, but she doesn't want kids and wants to join the Peace Corps for a few years. Nothing wrong with any of that, but there's quite an incongruity between what she wants and what I want.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...