Sunday, September 05, 2010

waiting for work...

I had today off but picked up an evening shift to help out my friend Aubree. So now I'm just waiting for 2:40 to come so I can get in my car and do my thing. This next week should be pretty easy: I work a variety of different shifts and lots of short ones, and I have two days off (worked every day this week, albeit two days I only worked two-hour shifts; long story). Amidst all of this I plan on finishing Wright's "Evil & The Justice of God" (it's a very short book but quite dense in content and scope, so it's taking me a while to work through it) and start his newest book "Justification", of which I've heard a plethora of great reviews (though undoubtedly John Piper is not too big a fan). I also want to make considerable progress in my book "Re:Framing Repentance"; I'm almost done with the last chapter, which is a brief introduction to the technicalities of salvation (Christus victor, propitiation/expiation, redemption/liberation, justification and glorification). It's been a fun chapter to write, though difficult. The material is interesting to me, but most people, even Christians, probably won't find all these theological nuances too interesting. I am paying particular attention to the themes of salvation as restoration and renewal to humanity's true intended identity as priests, rulers, and gardeners; and considerable attention to making the point that salvation is not solely a human-oriented thing but also something (as we see in texts like Ephesians 1, Colossians 1, and Romans 8) with cosmic consequences. The cross wasn't just about human beings; it was about the entire cosmos.

Also, I've finished watching all the seasons of Bones. Now I am turning my attention to the tv show "Weeds." It's hilarious. A soccer mom whose husband has died finds herself in dire financial straits and turns to selling marijuana to make ends meet. Ams, Sarah and I used to watch it all the time last summer, and on Netflix I can send all the seasons directly to the TV. It's pretty exciting.

I'm dreading making about two hundred of these tonight:

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...