Friday, September 10, 2010

randomz

Clare is coming over in a little bit, and we're going to make smoothies from a recipe book she bought. I really like her and enjoy spending time with her. We're just seeing where it's going, but I'm optimistic nonetheless. Today is payday and I have a few errands to run later in the day, not least buying some more paper from Office Max (as with pens, so it is with paper: my paper comes only from Office Max, and my pens come only from Staples). Like I said, this weekend I'll put up my review of N.T. Wright's "Evil & The Justice of God." I keep rereading different sections, the text coming alive to me all over again. The main thrust of the book, at least for me, is seen on two fronts; but, alas, I'm getting ahead of myself! I've ordered some more N.T. Wright books--namely, the first three books of his supposedly to-be six-volume series on Jesus & God & Christian origins; each is around 1000 pages (if not more) and should consume my winter reading. I have today off but then launch into a seven-day stretch (nothing compared to the 12-day stretch I just worked). In the spirit of N.T. Wright, I leave you with a quote from "Evil & The Justice of God" regarding the fall in Genesis 3:

Humans, instead of worshiping God as the source of their life, give allegiance to the nonhuman creation. The earth, instead of being wisely ruled by God-fearing, image-bearing stewards, shares the curse for the sake of idolatrous mankind. Death, which we may rightly see as a natural and harmless feature of the original landscape, now assumes the unwelcome guise of the executioner coming grimly to prevent the poison spreading too far. (pp 52)

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...