Sunday, October 09, 2005

At the end of the Hell House in the movie I posted about yesterday, all the visitors were hoarded into a room where one of the members of the church told them, "Okay. This is the most important part of the Hell House. You've seen what's been going on, you know what will happen to those who live immoral lifestyles. Now you have a choice. Either you can walk out of here unchanged, or you can be a born-again Christian." Then he pointed to a door and said, "If you want to be born-again, go through this door. You will get out of all you've seen and be able to embrace Heaven." And lots of people went into the room and people prayed the sinner's prayer with them.

My mind wanders...

1) What if you're already a Christian? What do you do? Do you have to be born-again again?

2) I despise the "Sinner's Prayer." Read the gospels. What Jesus calls for is SO much different.

3) How many people became Christians? A lot. How many people became disciples of Jesus (Jesus calls for disciples, not Christians)? Not so much. I'd bet hardly any at all.

4) These people 'accept Jesus' 'into their hearts' because they're afraid of Hell. This is like going into a marriage for the benefits, not the love. This is sick, wrong, and twisted. I remember Jesus' words to the Pharisees, and the weeping of God found in the prophetic book of Amos, and I know that God wants our hearts to beat for Him for Him, not for blessings or getting out of Hell or anything like that. In fact, He hates it when we go to Him for any reason other than out of sheer love and devotion to Him. How many of the people who 'accepted Jesus' into their hearts really adore and love God because of Hell House?

5) Perhaps I am way out of line, but... What if Christianity is the greatest danger to Christ's mission???

5 comments:

Mike said...

Dude, keep asking questions. It is the way to grow. I agree with you on all of your points. Keep searching for truth.

Rochelle said...

I never knew there was such a thing before your post Anthony Total opposite of what I believe It amazes me that this would even attract people unless it's solely curiosity It's defintitely sick and demented

darker than silence said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Mike.

Yeah, Rochelle... Hell Houses... NOT a big fan...

Adam said...

This post reminds me of "More Ready Than You Realize", where McLaren asks if conversion can really be pinned down to one moment when you signed the dotted line - or if it's a process. I think it's a process personally. He also talks about how it seemed that the people who would be "saved" on a decision Sunday never showed their faces at church again; whereas those who struggled and kept asking tough questions and were still seeking were always at church.

Unknown said...

I've been to a hell house before. They scare me alot. I agree with all of your comments; its not the right way to witness to a non-christian.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...