Monday, October 31, 2005

Last night I took a hot shower and crept into bed. Since I'd been getting cold lately, I'd brought a warm comforter from home, which gave me three blankets--the jean-quilt my grandma made me, the Mexican blanket from Cancun, and now the comforter--and I felt so warm and cozy. I drifted off at 10:30, thankful that I'd be getting a nice night of sleep and time to recooperate over some losses.

At 1:00 a.m. I was torn awake by a deafening noise. I thought it was in my head, then I saw John crawling out of his bed, muttering and shaking his head. "Fire-drill," he said. I muttered something under my breath, unintelligible in my still sleepy state, and we proceeded to slowly get dressed, muscles barely moving. I pulled on some jeans, then put on a carefully-chosen sweater to hold off the cold, then slid on my shoes, and we staggered out of the building to stand in the cold. I almost fell asleep on my feet, and then it took me a while to actually nod off once we returned to the dorm.

So now I am about to go get some food from the coffee shop, then do some research on stoicism, write a how-to speech on lectio divina for Wednesday, and then waste the rest of my day away, maybe--if I am dedicated enough--reading another chapter in The 12 Caesars. This time last week I was pretty depressed. But the lows of life have passed for now, and I am thankful for the joy in the air, the sweet colors of Fall, and the life I have been gifted. How can I ever think I'm 'looked-over' by God when 30,000 kids are dying each day from hunger??? It's kind of selfish to think, "God, why don't you always make me happy?" as I walk to eat a big meal and think nothing of it.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I love that post dude...You gotta have those "down" times in life, or else how would we grow? I love you man and I hope to see you soon...you are always in my prayers. God bless

Unknown said...

Im in one of the crappist dorms on campus, and there was something wrong with the fire drill, so I know exactly how you feel. Except mine was at 2:00. :):)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...