Sunday, October 02, 2005

Fall is finally here. Wow. I love the season for so many reasons. Memories float back to me--memories of picking pumpkins with my family, memories of cold hayrides, memories of hot apple cider, memories of turkey and mashed potatoes and--my favorite--pumpkin pie. I'm excited about being able to wear pants and sweaters now. I think I look better in pants and sweaters, too, so there's a confidence-builder.

All this week I have been captivated by the words and logic of Brian McLaren. His words just cut right through me and build upon my faith, even if that means crumbling some perceived ideals. His words just resonate with me, and I'm drawn away from him and to the wonderful, loving, passionate, and redeeming Savior of the world. I am reading several chapters a day, taking notes, absorbing and contemplating. I mean, all during my forty-five minute drive from Cincy to Springboro I contemplated John 14:6. I am so thankful that Doug and Mike led me to him through several conversations. I have a few of his books already and am searing through them, and plan on asking for his others (as well as a few Leonard Sweet books) for Christmas.

In class today, I taught about Hell, but hopefully in a light that really isn't touched a lot. I talked about what Hell would be like, then pointed out it's not our position to decide who goes to Hell, but we need to worry about our own selves. I spent most of the class talking about how Heaven and Hell aren't so much destinations but continuations of the lives we live now. For those who are intimate with God, intimate with others, and intimate with creation through Christ, they experience intimacy with God, others and creation in an eternal and newly-made universe. For those who are opposed to Christ and His Way, who live a life of separation from God, they are granted their wish--an eternity separate from God, from others, and creation, left to bathe in a sea of regrets, despair and hopelessness.

Yesterday Ams and I ate out at Skyline Chili (awesome times) and I made the mistake of ordering a chili-bean burrito. Why is this a mistake? Well, it was loaded with more cheese and lettuce and sour cream than I could handle, and when Dad and I smoked our cigars beside the fire and talked about life, the two didn't mix well, and my night concluded with me emptying my stomach all over the grass. I still wouldn't trade in the time spent on that deck nor in that restaurant, though. It was so much fun with both of them. Now I need to do something with Mom other than just see her on the weekends.

2 comments:

Ffej said...

Word to the wise - never, ever, under any circumstances mix a cigar with greasy and/or spicy food. NEVER works. My education to this came at the age of 18 having followed up a $15 cigar with a patty melt at the Waffle House in Erlanger, Ky. The patty melt only stayed down about 10 minutes.

darker than silence said...

Haha! I could feel it coming, too. I thought, "I'm going to sick." Then, "No, I'm not." And finally, "Wow. I'm gonna hurl." And the moment I stood up I wretched all over the deck.

Felt much better, though :)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...