Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Life has been fantastic lately. My evening last night was spent in the coffee shop from 6:30 to 11:00 writing a paper I forgot was due (I think I did a really good job, too!). While I was eating dinner, Lindsey sat down and said I should take my laptop down to the coffee shop and do homework with her (we have a tradition of hanging out at night in the coffee shop and doing our homework together; I do my measly freshman work and she works on her specialized junior studies). So we hung out and drank coffee (well, chai tea) and talked. Her boyfriend Artie came by and hung out with us. Monica hung out before she went to the gym with her roommate, then she called me to hang out but my phone has been turning on and off so I missed the call. She came into the coffee shop and exclaimed, "I called you!"

I pulled out my phone and said, "Sorry, my phone's been turning on and off."

A girl I call my big sister--Jessica Yarnell--was sitting there; she took my phone and started flirting with me to make Monica uncomfortable. Monica eventually left, and Jessica gave me back my phone and explained what she had done. I looked over at her boyfriend Rob, who said, "I didn't pick up on it."

"Neither did I," I said.

I awoke this morning to snow everywhere. Monica and I met in the coffee shop to eat, and Nate decided to join us. We all swapped stories as we ate. It was a rushing good time. Nate had to go to class, so I went into Student Life to see who was in there. I spent three hours hanging out with Lizzie, Monica and Trista. Trista and I were going to play ping-pong but there were no ping-pong balls; once I bought two to play with, she had already left. Monica decided to play me, and I dominated. All my freshman year I have been known as the short kid who sucks at ping-pong; people play me to warm up. Today Monica and I played four games, and I won three of them; she barely won the fourth. I went into the coffee shop and Chris said, "I've seen you in here three times!"

I said, "I hear you've been assassinated?" and he replied, "Yeah. Dave gutted me with a sword."

"That sucks, Man."

"He was watching me from your window!"

"I know, Man."

"Why didn't you warn me?"

"I didn't think about it," I said as I left. My hand crumpled against the door and my face slammed into the glass. I laughed. I'm pretty clumsy: I've fallen out of the tall chairs here about four or five times, and I always fall when I play ping-pong. Yesterday I tripped over a chair in the dining hall; luckily I wasn't carrying any food.

Monica, Trista and I were hanging out when Kyle came by. "What are you doing this summer?" he asked me.

"Hopefully working at a coffee shop."

His face fell. "Oh."

"Why do you ask?"

Monica blurted, "He has a job opportunity for you."

I eyed him. "Really?"

"Yeah," he replied. "Andrew, Lizzie, and I are on a camp team this summer. We need another counselor to work full-time. I thought you might be interested? The camp is by Lake Erie, and the pay is $175 a week. It's not too much, but you're not really spending it in the middle of the woods."

I love working with kids, and I've always wanted to work at a camp. I asked him what the job would be like, and he said, "Basically, you ferry kids around, you play games with them, and every night you give a small devotional to the kids in your group." I told him I was very interested and asked what the chances are, if I decided I'd like the job, that I would get it. "You're pretty much guaranteed," he said. We're making plans to get an interview. I am going to email my parents and sister and tell them what I might be doing. This is my passion.

Monica said, "I'll be there some," and Trista might be working part-time. She works at the Cincy Zoo right now.

I'm going to write a short story, I think, then tonight Monica invited me to watch American Idol with her down in the coffee shop. So I'm probably going to do that, then maybe go the soccer games. I don't have any homework, though. As Heather said, "It's a beautiful day!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anth,

Is it all summer or just part of the summer - like what are the dates?

Dad

darker than silence said...

I don't know yet... full-time during the summer was all he said

Anonymous said...

hope you get it. It would be a great opportunity and you are great with kids. Love, Mom

Adam said...

You had me in your blog until you mentioned American Idol...uggh. :^)

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...