Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I've decided to transform my 40 Day fast into a Lent fast. I have changed some details of the fast, too; instead of fasting from my computer, I am fasting from sweets, meat, and video games. Upon fasting for the first day or two without my computer, I realized how much I needed it (I almost was unable to turn in a paper, hah). So I've decided to go the sweets, meat, and video games route. When I get bored, I turn to sweets; now I will dedicated that time to prayer. I am a fiend for meat, so this is a real discipline for me. I am also addicted to video games, especially hours upon hours of LAN video-gaming.

God has already been speaking to me through the fast. Part of the reason I am undertaking the fast is to gain guidance and direction for my life. God is beginning this, I believe, by showing me the faults in my character. He has revealed that I complain too much, I often do not take holiness seriously, and basically that I have a lot of straightening up to do. I took these convictions outside, and reading through Job's prayer to God in chapter 42, God and I connected for some moments of intimacy.

I have yet to shower, then D-Group at 10:00, followed by (maybe) a soccer game at 11:00. I do not have to get up in the morning, so I'm not worried about staying up too late. If Brian comes back tonight (he's at his parish in Kentucky), we might take some cigars and go down by the river to blow off some stress.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...