Thursday, July 08, 2010

12:39 AM

I had a great day yesterday. I spent the day down in Cincinnati hanging out with lots of great people whom I haven't seen in a while. Mandy, Jessie, Isaac and I grabbed sushi at a buffet up Interstate 71, and then Mandy, Amos, Hartman and I went swimming at a pool in Delhi. We tried diving off the high-dive but none of us are skilled and basically we just spawned much laughter from the observers and pain amidst ourselves. I went to Refuge and hung out with Rob and Isaac and we smoked cigarettes and drank coffee and talked about Europe and Pentecost and miracles. I spent the evening at Rob and Mandy's house with pizza and beer and Mario on the Wii. Brandy and Missy came over and we broke out the hookah. I got back in town around 1:00 last night and immediately went to bed.

I work 1:30-9:00 today, and then I work 5-11:00 tomorrow morning. Dad and I are going out to Outback Steakhouse for dinner (Mom is in Florida with her extended family for a week). Sunday I work till 4:00 and will then spend the evening putting the finishing touches on my "interview" sermon for F.C.C. The sermon is entitled "The Resurrection of the Dead" and is an expose on 1 Corinthians 15. The main thrust of the sermon is about what Christians are looking forward to--new resurrected physical bodies in the context of a new resurrected heavens and earth--and what that means for Christian thought and practice in the present. Next week I don't really have much planned, except working and working and working and hanging out with friends here in town. The summer's been pretty slow and uneventful, but it hasn't been bad. I often find myself amidst nostalgia of the past summer, and it makes me realize that there are periods in our lives that we reflect upon with desire of return, but really those periods were no better than the period we're in now. It's like Ecclesiastes says: "Don't reflect on the previous years, because they were no better than the present years." Or something like that.

Now I'm going to go work out, take a shower, and run off to work.
It should be a good night tonight with a good crew.
And maybe I'll be hanging out with Dylan afterward: he has some "good news" for me.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...