Tuesday, July 13, 2010

the dayton days (24)

Monday. I worked 6:30-3:00 and had sushi for dinner. Tyler came over, and he joined me for a trip to DLM. We watched "Arrested Development." He really likes it. More bad news on the Sarah front, yet another guy and ridiculously immature decisions on Sarah's part. I stand firm in what I told Tyler: "I don't have the time nor the desire to pursue her goodwill. It's her life, and she can fuck it up however she pleases. It's not my problem, and when she comes crawling back to me for help like she's always done, she'll just be met with silence and crossed arms."

Tuesday. I worked 5-1:30 with Wade, Jessica, Tony, and Brittany (a borrowed partner from Centerville). I read N.T. Wright on my lunch break. I took a wonderful nap after work while listening to the birds outside.  Aunt Teri & Grandma came up for the night: tomorrow they're going to Florida for a week with Mom, and they're going to hit up Orlando and visit Grandpa and his mistress. I had a spring roll for dinner: I'm falling in love with them. Tyler came over and we watched some "Arrested Development" and went to Barnes & Noble where I got a moleskin journal with my gift card from Jesse for speaking at his wedding. I ended the evening by finishing Wright's The Challenge of Jesus and chatting with Jess Lynn. I still perceive myself as too unattractive to be with a cute girl. I'm not overweight--short & stocky, to be sure--and I have a cute face and piercing blue eyes and surfer-esque hair. I'm a pretty good-looking dude. Faith couldn't get over how cute and wonderful I was. "You're a sexy beast!" she exclaimed. I feel repulsive, but girls aren't repulsed by me; some are even attracted to me. 

Wednesday. I spent the day in Cincinnati: Mandy, Jessie, Isaac & I went to Kyogin Sushi Buffet for lunch, and then Mandy, Amos, Hartman & I went swimming at a community pool in Delhi. Brandy Rae & Missy showed up at the Claypole House, and I hung out with them for a while before heading back to Dayton. Faith contacted me: she's super angry and upset about how things went down. I don't blame her, but it's apparent that she has lots of issues to work through. The church in Franklin--F.C.C.--also contacted me, and I'm preaching there this Sunday. The candidates are me and another guy who has his M.Div and experience plus age (he's 33). Arlan, one of the ex-elders, told me a panel has been made to grill me on various doctrines. It should be fun. I hope I'm not too heretical.

Thursday. I went to the Centerville Starbucks to start Paul in Fresh Perspective, and a cute girl there flirted with me; her friend called her out on it, made her totally embarrassed. I worked 1:30-9:30 with Betsy, Abby, and Mandy M. Good times. Dad came in while I was working, and I hooked him up with a drink. Two high school girls flirted with me in DT. Why do they always have to be in high school? A bout of depression hit me as I drove home. so many women around my age came through work flouting their husbands. I thought I'd be married by 23, but that didn't happen. The two girls I dated and loved--Courtney and Julie--are now married. And Sarah? Let's not even go there. I pushed the sadness away. I believe that in December 2005 God promised me a wife. He is faithful even when I'm faithless. I must trust him to do what he said he'd do. Really, that's my only option. This isn't a passive trusting and waiting, but an active one: I engage the world and await his blessing, the fulfillment of his promises. I contemplated all this as I sat on the front porch watching storms tumble in, the lightning dancing behind the stock houses beyond the road and the thunder rippling over the pond next door.

Friday. I worked an easy 5-11:00 AM shift with Jessica. She's doing a great job as a shift. After work I went to the Starbucks in Centerville and wrote the first draft for my sermon this Sunday at F.C.C. Dad and I got Outback Steakhouse for dinner--12 oz steak, baked potato, and a side salad--and then Dylan came over. We watched a documentary on the Gaza Strip. Dad warned me that the ex-elder Arlan "isn't a good man." He's been with Southwest for a while, garnished a reputation as a harsh critic trying to manipulate others. Dad warned that he may be trying to manipulate me. He'll get a rude awakening. I don't do well with manipulation. Just ask Genna how well it worked for her.

Saturday. I've come down with a nasty cold and sore throat. I worked 8:30-4:00 with a flurry of good folk and then napped back home. I finished revising my sermon and practiced, practiced, practiced. Dad went to a picnic with Southwest and I hung out with Dylan & Tyler later in the evening. At work Carly showed me her "Purity Pyramid," which she designed for her lectures on sexual purity. I embarrassed her with affront questions, and she loved it. Today's also Sarah's birthday. 28. Jessica C. got really excited about me preaching tomorrow. She's cute as hell, and sometimes I thing she's flirting with me. Today at work she whispered in my ear, "You're my favorite person here. But don't tell anyone." Faith sent me a bunch of text messages, calling me an asshole. We hung out twice! Get over it.

Sunday. I woke at 7:30 and went to work for coffee and some coffee cake and looked over my sermon before heading to the church in Franklin. The sermon went well, everyone REALLY liked it. There was a pizza luncheon afterwards, and then the elders grilled me about how to grow the church. I was honest with them to a fault, and they seemed to appreciate it. I ran by work to get my tip mail. Friday's the Starbucks Luau, and I'll be working it. Jessica C. asked me how the morning went. Dewenter came over for a bit, and we played on his guitar and then he went to his grandpa's. Ams came up and we grilled chicken on the grill out back. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...