Wednesday, July 07, 2010

not my responsibility

One of my dearest friends reminds me of that verse in Proverbs that speaks of a dog returning to its own vomit just as a fool returns to his own folly. She consistently returns to her "old" habits of living, the manner of which is not really appropriate to write here. I have, along with others, repeatedly warned her of the obvious dangers of this kind of lifestyle, and despite the effects it's already produced in her life, she continues to plunge into it headfirst. There are times when she gets bitch-slapped in reality and then tiptoes into repentance, but then she just turns around and gets right back to it. The same conversations, over and over, are very wearying. Maybe this is bad, but I'm to the point where I don't have the energy to talk to her about it, to encourage her, to rebuke her, to convict her. In her heart this is what she wants, and nothing that I (or anyone) says will change that. She knows what she's doing is foolish, but she does it anyways. My only response is to pray for her now, pray that God will convict her, encourage her, even break her (if that is what it takes) so that she will experience the granting of repentance. Perhaps that is all I can do for her, and perhaps that is all that we as ambassadors of Christ can do at times: having spoken the words of truth, it is not our job to make change happen. This is all very cliche but also very wise. Maybe I should take the route Jesus recommends: talk to her face-to-face, then talk to her face-to-face with some other people, and then just let her do her own thing. There's no point in being consumed by this. It's her life, after all, and not mine. My responsibility does not lie with her choices and decisions. It lies with mine. The direction of her life is not on my shoulders; but what's on my shoulders is my own life and my own decisions.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...